Bandsaw tire
Hi all,

Just jumped back into woodworking and decided to tune up the bandsaw.  Found a crusty strip of ,I presume, sawdust on the polyurethane tires. Cleaned as much as I could with paint thinner but there's still this left after it dried.  Do I need to remove, and if so, how to do it?

thanks,

hal
Hal
(11-05-2018, 06:00 PM)Hal Mann Wrote: Hi all,

Just jumped back into woodworking and decided to tune up the bandsaw.  Found a crusty strip of ,I presume, sawdust on the polyurethane tires. Cleaned as much as I could with paint thinner but there's still this left after it dried.  Do I need to remove, and if so, how to do it?

thanks,

hal
Sand paper or wire brush. If it’s the lower wheel, remove the blade, start the saw and proceed with caution.
I'd be inclined to roll it by hand, holding some sandpaper up to the wheel.
That doesn't look bad to me.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I have had luck using a razor blade as a scraper.
Is there an advantage in getting the last bits of embedded sawdust out of the tire?

My first thought is that the main goal is to get a uniform circumference, with no lumps that would cause the blade to deflect as the wheels turn.
Beyond that, is there anything beyond aesthetics?

Matt
Not that I know of...
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Thanks all,

If I'm interpreting all your comments correctly, sounds like it isn't a critical issue, but would be better to clean off.  Also it cleaning, damaging the tire slightly doesn't seem to be a major concern in using sandpaper or scrapping with a razor blade.  Is this right?

Also I'm taking it that this is common and no preventative action is necessary.  Is that also right?  

I was afraid it would be necessary to replace the tires.

Much thanks everyone,

hal
Hal
I do not worry about it on my bandsaws. Sandpaper scuffs will not damage the tires.
Steve

Missouri

WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(11-06-2018, 06:42 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: I do not worry about it on my bandsaws. Sandpaper scuffs will not damage the tires.

Thanks.
Hal
Not to highjack the thread, but a few months ago, I was using my bandsaw and the blade suddenly came loose. Almost as if the blade had snapped, but it did not. What happened is the tire came off the lower wheel. This is a Jet 14" bandsaw with a riser. Not sure how or why the tire came off, but I was able to get it back on and it seems to run just fine. Any ideas on how a tire comes off while in use?

BTW, I use a card scraper to remove the embedded sawdust with only light pressure while hand turning the wheels.