Bandsaw tire
(11-07-2018, 11:47 AM)Scoony Wrote: Not to highjack the thread, but a few months ago, I was using my bandsaw and the blade suddenly came loose. Almost as if the blade had snapped, but it did not. What happened is the tire came off the lower wheel. This is a Jet 14" bandsaw with a riser. Not sure how or why the tire came off, but I was able to get it back on and it seems to run just fine. Any ideas on how a tire comes off while in use?

BTW, I use a card scraper to remove the embedded sawdust with only light pressure while hand turning the wheels.

Thanks Scoony.
Hal
(11-07-2018, 11:47 AM)Scoony Wrote: Not to highjack the thread, but a few months ago, I was using my bandsaw and the blade suddenly came loose. Almost as if the blade had snapped, but it did not. What happened is the tire came off the lower wheel. This is a Jet 14" bandsaw with a riser. Not sure how or why the tire came off, but I was able to get it back on and it seems to run just fine. Any ideas on how a tire comes off while in use?

I had the same thing happen on mine 3 times before I replaced the tires and it hasn't happened since.
Fill your heart with compassion, seek the jewel in every soul, share a word of kindness, and remember; the people's what it's about.
Capt. Tony Tarracino

(11-05-2018, 06:00 PM)Hal Mann Wrote: Hi all,

Just jumped back into woodworking and decided to tune up the bandsaw.  Found a crusty strip of ,I presume, sawdust on the polyurethane tires. Cleaned as much as I could with paint thinner but there's still this left after it dried.  Do I need to remove, and if so, how to do it?

It's just some sawdust glued on with some of the pitch off the wood.  Unless its really built up, not that much of an issue.  You could try something a bit stronger than thinner, maybe acetone or lacquer thinner, but make sure it doesnt soften up or react with the tires (I doubt it will).  You might want to tweak the alignment as well, ideally you should be riding on the top of the crown, not off to one side.
(11-07-2018, 07:34 PM)EvilTwin Wrote: It's just some sawdust glued on with some of the pitch off the wood.  Unless its really built up, not that much of an issue.  You could try something a bit stronger than thinner, maybe acetone or lacquer thinner, but make sure it doesnt soften up or react with the tires (I doubt it will).  You might want to tweak the alignment as well, ideally you should be riding on the top of the crown, not off to one side.

Thanks ET
Hal