Wine Racking
Hi all...I'm kicking around the idea of converting some basement storage space into a wine cellar.  Using this for some inspiration:
https://www.artisticwinecellars.com/gallery

I won't end up with anything near as large as these are...but just wondering...has anyone ever made some wine racking to this scale?  Just wondering if there are best practice methods to follow to make life easier and/or pitfalls to look out for.

Thanks!
Not to that scale, but in that style.  Applying finish was a laborious job.  Spraying would have been easier, but even easier would be to pre-finish the verticals and then assemble.

In any case I would never again build that style of wine rack.  Too time consuming to finish (and assembly was not particularly fast and left/right alignment is critical.

Walls barren of racks really "need" a brick veneer.  And an arched ceiling in stone veneer would be a nice touch (assuming it does not fall off the ceiling and kill someone).

This style would be vastly easier to finish and cost effective.  I like the modern take.  But a more traditional look is possible using this format.  Note the brick wall.  A wine cellar should look and feel like an actual cellar.  You are making a space with ambience.  A couple of chairs and a nice small table would be nice for "tasting".  

It should not feel like a room to fetch things from, but rather a room to visit.  

[Image: DDP_4833-web.jpg]

Here the cellar feels like an actual cellar.
[Image: 819833803df5469258b49c7fd9eac006.jpg]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I wish I had that kind of space!  Mine will be nothing more than a passive-cooling storage-only space.  The space is more like a small walk in closet...only about 5' x 6'.  Two of the walls are in contact with dirt.  One is just an internal stud wall.  The fourth doesn't exist at this time.  Ceiling is just drop tile.  I was planning on removing the drop ceiling in favor of insulated dry wall and include a couple of recessed LED lights.  I would open up the one inside wall simply to add insulation.  Remove the crap carpet, and install tile.  Build/install the racking to be floor to ceiling on the 5' wall.  On the right long interior wall, build a cabinet/hutch of some kind that would incorporate more bottle storage, but that can be used for storing other stuff.  The "top" of the hutch would be more racking to the ceiling...probably a cut out in the middle with a mirror or something else aesthetic.  The opposing long wall would be left empty to accommodate an insulated/exterior door with sidelights/etc.   I hope that all makes sense
Smile
(11-07-2018, 02:13 PM)brnhornt Wrote: I wish I had that kind of space!  Mine will be nothing more than a passive-cooling storage-only space.  The space is more like a small walk in closet...only about 5' x 6'.  Two of the walls are in contact with dirt.  One is just an internal stud wall.  The fourth doesn't exist at this time.  Ceiling is just drop tile.  I was planning on removing the drop ceiling in favor of insulated dry wall and include a couple of recessed LED lights.  I would open up the one inside wall simply to add insulation.  Remove the crap carpet, and install tile.  Build/install the racking to be floor to ceiling on the 5' wall.  On the right long interior wall, build a cabinet/hutch of some kind that would incorporate more bottle storage, but that can be used for storing other stuff.  The "top" of the hutch would be more racking to the ceiling...probably a cut out in the middle with a mirror or something else aesthetic.  The opposing long wall would be left empty to accommodate an insulated/exterior door with sidelights/etc.   I hope that all makes sense
Smile

Spend a few hundred dollars more and it becomes a "sales feature" when it comes time to sell.  Otherwise it is just storage; useful, but not an investment.  In either case I would avoid the original design.  It is too time consuming to build.  

the other can be built using a couple of hole saws and a drill press and very quickly.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
We racked our brain out (see what I did there) when deciding on how to finish out our basement. Originally we wanted a bar with a adjacent wine storage room. We just could not find enough space for both. After puzzling with it for a long time we decided that we drank wine but did not collect wine. Ended up with a decent sized bar with a couple of wine racks incorporated into the cabinets. Works for us.
Telling a man he has too many tools,
is like telling a woman she has too many shoes.