Help with Hollows and Rounds
Hi, all,

I've never used hollows or rounds before, but I need to make a cove trim and figured that now is a good time to start.  

I'm looking for the radius to be about 3/4 or 7/8 inch.  But I'm not sure what number round to buy.  

I'd be happy buy a pair (hollow/round) or even a small starter set, but funds are tight, so it's better for me to start small with a plane or two that can help me get this done and then build a collection out from there over time.

Thanks, in advance, for suggestions and guidance,
jason
(11-08-2018, 10:50 AM)navakahn Wrote: Hi, all,

I've never used hollows or rounds before, but I need to make a cove trim and figured that now is a good time to start.  

I'm looking for the radius to be about 3/4 or 7/8 inch.  But I'm not sure what number round to buy.  

I'd be happy buy a pair (hollow/round) or even a small starter set, but funds are tight, so it's better for me to start small with a plane or two that can help me get this done and then build a collection out from there over time.

Thanks, in advance, for suggestions and guidance,
jason

Get your hands on a copy of Matt Bickford's book on using H&R planes to make moldings.  And get your hands on a good marking gauge (two even) and at least one good rabbet plane.  Or you can use a table saw or powered router (in a table) to hog out waste before moving in for the kill with the H&R planes.

Mouldings in Practice

And at one point, Lee Valley had this book in their catalog.  Today (?) is the last day of free shipping before the next time they offer free shipping (about once every 3 months)...
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
(11-08-2018, 11:26 AM)Rob Young Wrote: Get your hands on a copy of Matt Bickford's book on using H&R planes to make moldings.  And get your hands on a good marking gauge (two even) and at least one good rabbet plane.  Or you can use a table saw or powered router (in a table) to hog out waste before moving in for the kill with the H&R planes.

Mouldings in Practice

And at one point, Lee Valley had this book in their catalog.  Today (?) is the last day of free shipping before the next time they offer free shipping (about once every 3 months)...

Thanks, Rob.  I've been wanting to get Bickford's book, so, you're right, this is a good time for it.

I've got a powered router and table saw, and could just get a cove bit, but I've moved almost exclusively to hand tools over the past five years, so I've got no problem using my rabbet plane to remove most of the waste.  And I've got a decent sense for how to work with the H&Rs.  I just don't know which sizes I'd need for the 3/4 or 7/8 inch cove.
(11-08-2018, 12:59 PM)navakahn Wrote: Thanks, Rob.  I've been wanting to get Bickford's book, so, you're right, this is a good time for it.

I've got a powered router and table saw, and could just get a cove bit, but I've moved almost exclusively to hand tools over the past five years, so I've got no problem using my rabbet plane to remove most of the waste.  And I've got a decent sense for how to work with the H&Rs.  I just don't know which sizes I'd need for the 3/4 or 7/8 inch cove.

A 3/4 cove would be a no6 H/R and a 7/8 cove would be a no7 H/R

Attached is the chart of the plane number and the radius of the profile.

.pdf   hollows_rounds_chart.pdf (Size: 18.06 KB / Downloads: 321)
WoodTinker
(11-08-2018, 01:32 PM)WoodTinker Wrote: A 3/4 cove would be a no6 H/R and a 7/8 cove would be a no7 H/R

Attached is the chart of the plane number and the radius of the profile.
Assuming you are making a cove with a radius of 3/4" or 7/8", that would call for a #12 round for the first and a #13 for the latter. That's assuming that the hollows & rounds in question follow the somewhat typical numbering system. That can't be assumed when dealing with older planes, depending on the maker. 

In any event, I don't know the source of the chart already linked to, but the labeling is incorrect. The column giving the size indicates that the radius of the profile is being given, when, in fact, it gives the diameter instead. Very confusing.

Don McConnell
Eureka Springs, AR
(11-08-2018, 12:59 PM)navakahn Wrote: Thanks, Rob.  I've been wanting to get Bickford's book, so, you're right, this is a good time for it.

Per Don's comment kinda sorta a #12 and #13 if you use "modern" made H&R planes as most of them have adopted the 1/16" scale for the radius / arc.  

But if you are picking up vintage planes, it would be best if the seller can tell you the measurement or if you can inspect them directly.  If you are planning to go hunting, find yourself a circle gauge such as this one. That can be very helpful because you just match up the plane body to the various templates and viola' you have the size!

Also, Don made a couple of videos a few years back that also demonstrate methods.  I think for LieNielsen so purchase through them.  And there are at least two videos I know of for making your own planes, again one from LieNielsen's catalog.  The other is harder to find and uses a much different construction method than traditional H&Rs
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
I have been using H&Rs for a number of years and Matt Bickford's book is a good starting place, as well as Roy Underhill's Show on PBS,
https://www.pbs.org/video/woodwrights-sh...ws-rounds/
George

if it ain't broke, you're not tryin'
Quando omni flunkus, moritati.
Red Green

I agree completely with what Don and Rob said. And I strongly suggest Don's videos. Especially the first one if you're just getting started. It's outstanding.

- Mark
(11-08-2018, 07:10 PM)Treebeard Wrote: I agree completely with what Don and Rob said. And I strongly suggest Don's videos. Especially the first one if you're just getting started. It's outstanding.

- Mark

A plus (several) for all the above.....

While you are waiting for Matt's book, go to his site and dive into the esoteric world of a "simple (specialty) plane".
https://msbickford.com/

Old Street Tool, Inc. is another plane maker that precedes Matt; for that matter, they helped him get started. 
http://planemaker.com/products.html

Check the prices of new planes on their respective sites. They are worth every penny! But if you do need to go with used which are likely over a 100 years old, read Matt's post(s) about old vs. new.
Thanks so much, everyone.  I really appreciate the guidance and suggestions!

j.