Help with Hollows and Rounds
Needed some molding made....

Had a cutter for the Stanley 45 reground...to make the cove part ..

Used all 3 of these...Cove cutter USED to be a 3/4" bead cutter.....reground for the shape I needed..

Also, the Stanley 45 and the Record version had H & R cutters, and special add -on fences.    Even a Nosing cutter.
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(11-08-2018, 01:49 PM)Don McConnell Wrote: Assuming you are making a cove with a radius of 3/4" or 7/8", that would call for a #12 round for the first and a #13 for the latter. That's assuming that the hollows & rounds in question follow the somewhat typical numbering system. That can't be assumed when dealing with older planes, depending on the maker. 

In any event, I don't know the source of the chart already linked to, but the labeling is incorrect. The column giving the size indicates that the radius of the profile is being given, when, in fact, it gives the diameter instead. Very confusing.

Don McConnell
Eureka Springs, AR

I would trust Don's post.

I am not in any terms an expert here. I believe the chart was from Matt Bickford's website? But can't seem to find it there anymore.

After a little research:

From the following link https://user.xmission.com/~jry/ww/tools/...rounds.htm

I notice that the profile radius = the wide of the blade = 1/6 the circle or 60 degrees of circle = 1/2 diameter of circle. The number system is in increments of 1/16 of inch up to no12, whereas NO13 & above are in increment of 1/4 of an inch. The number of each plane might differ from manufacturer to manufacturer.
WoodTinker