Dust Collector Upgrade
I built a thein top hat style that sits on top of a trash can.

The outside wall of the thein separator is made of 1/8” plexiglass, as I like to watch the dust spiral around the sides.

Motor and blower are the trusty harbor freight DC and I have it routed to a Wynn filter. Currently I have both intake and output 4” but when my new shop gets finished, I may switch out to some bigger stovepipe.

All it takes to make the thein top hat is a router with a circle cutting jig

Duke
(11-09-2018, 01:33 AM)Tapper Wrote: I called Wynn Environmental today and was connected to "Dick Wynn." Didn't ask but I assume he was the "man." Had a nice discussion with him. One of the main differences in his canister filter and the one I referenced above from Grizzly is that the Griz has flappers that will clean the inside of the filter. I don't think the Wynn has that feature.

I plan to put either a Thien style separator or a Dust Deputy between the the main DC line and the collector, thus catching most of the dust before it actually gets to the DC. BTW, I'll measure tomorrow but it looks like the Grizzly unit will fit over the metal ring on my Penn State DC without any modification (fingers crossed). According to Dick Wynn if I buy his unit I'll have to make an MDF "doughnut" as he called it, to adapt his filter to my unit. I'd rather not do that if it can be avoided with the Grizzly unit.

I know  someone has to sell the clear plastic bags to replace the lower fabric bag. Just have to find a source.

Doug
Wynn used to have the clear plastic bags I believe.
These are the mods I made, and they work so well ...

1. A Superdust Deputy may reduce the suction a little, but I keep the 5" hoses short. Lots of room for improvement here. Still, the convenience makes up for this.

2. I replaced the bag with a steel bin. One of the plastic bags was used to connect the two. The steel belt around the drum keeps the seal tight. The transparent bag let me see if there is anything in thuere. It is important to keep the SDD bin under 2/3 full. More than this and it loses suction, which is when dust and chips flow to the collector.

[Image: DC6a.jpg]

[Image: DC7a.jpg]

[Image: DC5a.jpg]

The machines that feed the DC are a Jointer/Thicknesser, Table saw, and bandsaw.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
I have a Griz unit with a top filter/flapper and a bottom bag. I added a 30 gallon chip collector can(no baffle/separator).  I have a Rigid OSS, planer, router table, TS, and jointer piped to it and blast gates on each tool. The filter clogs up even with the flapper and I spin the flapper each direction at least twice after about five sessions. I feel it does minimize dust. But, the system is more for chip collection than dust collection.