New Coffin Smoother Source
(11-09-2018, 10:10 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: Steve Knight made excellent planes for the price. I have one. But he had the worlds worst business model. He was chronically low on funds, and would offer his planes at a big discount .... and then everyone on this forum would order a couple ... which would leave him overwhelmed and unable to make anything other than discounted planes. By the time he was up to date, he needed cash, and the cycle would begin again. He could not go on like this, and eventually started a CNC business.

If I was in the market for a woodie, I'd either get one from Steve Voigt or HNT Gordon. Steve makes the best double ironed wooden planes, while Terry Gordon makes the best high angled planes.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Hello Derek;

I was one of those caught on Steve's downcycle.... after a number of email exchanges with him, I gave up and eventually sold my plane to a member here. Once he bought that CNC machine, he lost all interest in us....
Skip

I apologize, Hank. I saw the last name and the hamster in my head got all off track....
I am quickly realizing that I have NO natural talent... But I am trying to fake it.
(11-09-2018, 03:52 PM)titanxt Wrote: I apologize, Hank. I saw the last name and the hamster in my head got all off track....

Not a Problem. Just wanted to keep the record straight.

Hank
(11-08-2018, 02:56 PM)titanxt Wrote: Hello All! I hope everyone is having a good day. Does anyone make a good, wooden coffin smoother anymore? 

Andy

I have used Old Street, Steve Voigt (double irons), Daryl Gent, and Jeremiah Wilding planes - all domestic and all of fantastic quality and build.  Philly Planes are in England - but the others are all domestic based on both English and American designs.  All have waiting lists (Steve might have a smoother left over from a batch he just built - and all are worth the wait.  All of these people take tremendous pride and care in their research, materials, and build and you'd be honored to use and own any of them.  Red Rose makes other planes but seemingly doesn't currently offer coffin smoothers although he does have irons and stock if you care to make your own.  Personally I own Old Street and Wilding planes - but all of them are remarkable.  Once you get one set up - the feedback is very different from an iron bodied plane (not starting anything here - but they are different, not "better"....).

Best of luck on your search and report back once you try one!
Hmmm, later you can walk into just about any Antique store....and almost trip over them....
Cool
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(11-08-2018, 02:56 PM)titanxt Wrote: Hello All! I hope everyone is having a good day. Does anyone make a good, wooden coffin smoother anymore? 

Andy
Hi Andy,

I have a brand new coffin smoother which has a hearnshaw brothers from Sheffield double iron. It's about 9 inches long with 2.5in wide blade. The blade just needs touching up just service rust no pitting. I bought from ebay 10 years ago and I'll sell for $75

Cheers

Mike Swindell
(11-08-2018, 08:15 PM)Hank Knight Wrote: These guys have a good reputation. Never used one of their planes, but I've heard good things about them.

http://www.phillyplanes.co.uk/coffin.html

I have two of Phil's planes - a mini panel raiser (in beech) and a gorgeous moving fillister of African blackwood. Both were purchased from Woodnetters several years ago.

Both planes are are beautifully made and work very well; they're a pleasure to use.
Cliff
ex-TX, now Maine!
I have a jack plane made by Steve Voigt and it’s a beauty. I intend on getting a smoother from him next.
"When I nod my head, hit it." - M. Howard.

"I think you should learn how to use hand tools before you even touch a power tool." - Sam Maloof