Doorbell wiring
Because of metal doors I cannot use a wireless doorbell (tried a couple of them).

Can doorbell wire (low-v, not the 120) be run on the surface without an encasement?
Mike

I work on the 50-50-90 rule: If there's a 50-50 choice, I'll pick the wrong one 90% of the time!
Do you have to pull a permit to install a doorbell?

Would a WiFi doorbell (Ring or Nest, for example) work? Yes, it costs more, but not wires to run if you already have wifi within range.
(11-11-2018, 07:58 PM)JosephP Wrote: Do you have to pull a permit to install a doorbell?

No.
Mike

I work on the 50-50-90 rule: If there's a 50-50 choice, I'll pick the wrong one 90% of the time!
Interesting.
Our cordless door bell is outside a screened porch. The door to the house is steel, with 8" wide side lites on each side. Bell itself is about 30 feet inside the door.
Works fine.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
(11-11-2018, 08:09 PM)Pirate Wrote: Interesting.
Our cordless door bell is outside a screened porch. The door to the house is steel, with 8" wide side lites on each side. Bell itself is about 30 feet inside the door.
Works fine.

We have a double steel door, 15' of foyer, another double steel door, then 20' to the nearest outlet.
Mike

(11-11-2018, 07:58 PM)JosephP Wrote: Do you have to pull a permit to install a doorbell?
(11-11-2018, 07:59 PM)Scouter Wrote: No.
What was your original question again???
(11-11-2018, 08:44 PM)JosephP Wrote: What was your original question again???

Can doorbell wire (low-v, not the 120) be run on the surface without an encasement?
Mike

I had to move to wireless after installing a storm door, since I could not effectively re-route the original hard wires.

The Home Depot models were poor and unreliable. I bought one online and it's been great, and it works with a steel door. They are also battery-powered only (C for the wall unit, and 2032 for the outdoor transmitter). No power required.

I'd recommend giving them a shot, since they're better than you think. You shouldn't have any problems running something like 24VAC exposed, but it won't look very nice.
Usually, under 30 volts is fine unprotected. Door bell transformers are 16 volt.

You can find inexpensive trim made just for wall exposed wiring at the box stores.
(11-11-2018, 06:50 PM)Scouter Wrote: Can doorbell wire (low-v, not the 120) be run on the surface without an encasement?

Yes
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS