Just another box build
All depends on the job being done, as to which plane get the work....

Wasn't all that great of a day....despite being there for 5 hours...One panel is out of the clamps, and two are in the clamps..

This was the "easy one"...just spread the glue, and re-use the clamps...will get around to the other glue-up after a bit...Had to square one edge of the first glue up..

Then the planes and the beltsander to clean up and level the playing fields...even got out a block plane..
Rolleyes  

Had a few places only the 60-1/2 could get into.  Once that was done, I could set up the plough plane portion of a Tongue & Groove joint..

End panels will get a matching tongue to fit in the groove.  Helps when gluing up the corners of the box.  Keeps things line up, too.

There was a stopped dado to finish up.   I had run the grooves through on the rails, but needed the groove into the stiles..but, not all the way through..

Wasn't much room for a saw....used a knife, and a chisel  or two....wide chisel and a narrow one.  I still got some break-off, right where a groove was going by....by the time a bottom panel is in place, you won't see any damage. 

Part 1.   Had a LONG, frustrating day...so there will be a couple more posts.    Cussing level was above the #10 level on the dial....could make even a Marine blush. 
Stay tuned, Part 2 coming right up..
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that

Winkgrin
Part 2..
Uhoh Time to work on the two end panels...
Upset  was that kind of a day..

I checked and rechecked....and should have gotten better lighting for a saw...but...

I needed these 8 tenons made, so I could lay out the 8 Mortises....and chop those.   Shoulder cuts for these were NOT the best....finally used the tablesaw to trim them a bit
Upset  Trimmed one a bit too much..tenon went bye-bye
Upset ....by the time everything was trimmed square and matched each other..I had to also trim the two un-raised panels to match, At least I hadn't raised them ...yet.   Used the completed panel to lay out the locations of the mortises...and was able to dry fit one frame..
Rolleyes

Meh,,,could be better...Raised one of the panels, and tried again..

Will fine tune this for square.   As for the rail without tenons....I drilled through the stile, right in the middle of where the tenon would have gone.   Then Counter bore to recess the head of a screw.   I didn't want the match cutter to hit that.  While fussing with that...decided just to glue it all up....screws were driven, clamps applied..the only ones left for that size..

Set this aside with the other glue-up...then restart the last end panel.  Fine tuning it a bit....wanted to clamp it up, for a dry fit...

Try holding 5 loose parts in one hand, while tightening the vise in the other.
Rolleyes   That F style clamp is a three footer.....kind of sticks out.   Had to refine a tenon or two, so they would sit square to the stiles.   The raised panel had been done just before this dry fit.    I used the vise.   Planes could "ride" on the wooden jaw at the bevel's angle...saving me knuckles
Cool

Stay tuned for part 3
Winkgrin
Part 3:   The light issue with the bandsaw.   Needs a better light that will shine ON the cut being made.   Was dealing with a shadow line where the blade was.   Was hard to  see where the blade was, and where it was cutting.    Some of the tenons wound up "offset"....not what I wanted.   That was the reason the one tenon was cut off...when using the tablesaw to trim things....Tenon was lower than the other tenon I had just trimmed...bing!
Upset 

Corner joints:  I use a T&G joint, both for the glue up, and to align the two parts....they can't move while I apply the clamps.  Front and back get the grooves, the end stiles are narrower, and get the matching tongue, as well...when clamped to the front or back stile, they look the same size as those stiles.  

When I mill the tongue, this stile will settle in the groove.

That is a normal sized Mountain Dew can sitting there.   Gives a sense of scale as to the size of these end panels.
Confused    Then try to do a raised panel on something this sized.

5 o'clock came, finally
Winkgrin ,,,so I hung up the shop apron..

And closed shop for the day.   Waiting on the glue-ups to cure overnight...try again tomorrow, eh?

Stay tuned..
Think I have fixed the light problem on the bandsaw...
Cool  

Runs on 120vac.....old one was bunt out..$4.80
Rolleyes 

Removed all the clamps from the two glue-ups, this morning.....and promptly recycled a bunch..

When I removed the clamps from the other end panel...
Rolleyes 

The screw that WAS in there..popped loose...wasn't as long as needed..replace with a 2" long screw...had to wax the threads.
Clamped the two long panels back to back...
Rolleyes   

Will need some work, to get these two to match each other.....planes and a beltsander...

I even sharpened the match cutter #5 for use....had to go to the stores this afternoon...may get back to the shop, after Supper?
If one sharpens a cutter, usually means one is about to use it...
Confused  

This was after I had run the last of the grooves..
After I had planed and sanded things so they matched each other..
Cool

And squared the sides on the end panel..

And fixed that too short screw with a lot longer one.   Then clamp the end panel so it won't slide around..
Rolleyes 

Tried  quite a few times, to figure out exactly which way the grain was running....failed each time....

Stay tuned.

Attached Files Image(s)

Light bulb did get installed....now I might be able to see what I am cutting..
Rolleyes
Confused  

First tongue cut was a bit loose...
No 

Fussy-arsed plane...
Upset finally got the tongue centered.....second joint was a lot better..
Rolleyes 

Holding it's own.   Then finished the groove on the end panel..
Cool  

Then a dry fit of the three parts..

One clamp, one stretcher bar.....waiting on the other end panel to cure, then I can mill the tongues and finish the groove for the bottom panel.  Also have to make sure it matches the other end panel....IF I get any shop time today.
Upset 

Stay tuned...
Shop times are getting a bit shorter....Got the other end panel out of the clamps.....
Cool 

Finally figured out the match cutter....I set it very shallow, then slowly increase the depth until it just starts to  cut.....I was also able to track which way the grain was running.   I also kept the other end panel handy.....didn't want to cut off too much...or..too little....I could always plane the tongue down a bit. if need be.  

Then sanded, planed and drum sanded....
Rolleyes 

Until the ends matched each other.....skinny feet?   Not really....
Cool 

Because, when I clamp the corners together....these should match the views from the front or back...
Winkgrin 

Left this all dry fitted up for a day...

As Friday's Tasks were done....stay tuned for Saturday's  Adventures
Cool
Winkgrin
Ok...not much was done early.....nap....oil change.....nap....put the Stanley 45 away..
Cool 

And closed the lid....marked out the size needed for the bottom panel...and cut that..

just some leftover Luann 1/4" ~ Plywood....
Uhoh , then cleared the "decks for action"
Winkgrin   

Needed plenty or elbow room....removed these clamps, and set aside where I could grab them....Laid the parts flat on the bench, making sure they stayed in the order they go together in.....spread a bit of glue on the tongues....and a bit on me fingers (as usual..
Rolleyes )  and then tried to slap 5 parts together enough to add ONE lousy clamp....about the 4th try, was able to get a small c clamp on one foot......then added a few more..and a few more....

Went from this, to..

Somewhere in that forest of clamps, there is a fully assembled box....except for a lid.  Had to use one of those pipe clamps on a diagonal....to pull the box into square...then ran it and a second one length-wise, to keep it that way...

Moved this mess back a bit more....in order to get my fat body out of there...cleaned the place up.   Will let this sit a day, or two....while I lay out how to cut a 1 x 12 into a lid...

Stay tuned...
Plan today WAS to just remove the clamps......that WAS the plan..
Rolleyes 
One thing led to another...ends and the corners were cleaned up, squared up...sanded.  And the edges rounded over....then cut and shaped a lid...didn't want it running around "topless"

Amber Shellac and a new brush were handy..
Winkgrin  soooo..

How about a PIP?
Cool  

Haven't added any hardware...yet 

A view of the back...and...

The top of the  lid
Cool 

Not sure IF I'll round the top edges of the lid, what sort of handles to install....or type of hinges to use....

One coat of Amber Shellac, so far..didn't have any stain I liked.
Stay tuned..still a bit more to do...
Cool
Lid now has a more "rounded" appearance...
Winkgrin 

Top and bottom.   Hinges were installed..
Cool  

Attached a handle to each end..

Would you believe, there is a Phillips size smaller than a No. 1?   I even "clocked" the screws.
Rolleyes

Foot Pads.   Should last longer than those plastic ones?
Rolleyes
Close the lid, after a re-coat of shellac...

Calling this one "Done".
Cool
Cool
Cool

Thanks for following along...
Winkgrin