hettich 165 degrehinge for full inset and 3/8" overlay
For the past 25 or 30 years I've been using a Hettich 165 degree hinge for inset and 3/8" overlay lipped cabinet doors. I've used this hinge for 7 complete kitchen builds, and numerous furniture projects both for myself and others. When one of the people for whom I'd built a complete kitchen asked me to build some doors for an older buffet cabinet he'd built years ago, the original doors having failed over the years. I once again turned to the supplier I've used all these years for eight more of the Hettich hinge (1073407). The supplier informed me that the hinge has been discontinued in favor of a new model designed for the same applications. When the hinges and mounting plates arrived I found that the new hiinge was very unlike the original, although it can be used for the same application. The old model has a nice (chrome?) polished surface, the new hinge is plain steel, perhaps zinc plated, and physically considerably larger than the original. The new mounting plates instead of being cast, are now pressed sheet steel. I'm sure that Hettich did this switch for lowered manufacturing costs, and they definitely look cheap. More like something to use in garage storage cabinets, not in a finished piece of furniture or kitchen cabinet. My customer for the new doors was quite disappointed in the appearance of the new hinges, and asked me why the (expletive) I didn't use the same hinge I'd used on his kitchen cabinets. I've sent a message to my supplier, voicing my and my customer's feelings about the new hinges, for whatever good that will do. Guess now I need to shop for an alternative hinge, perhaps Blum makes a hinge that can be used for the same applications, hopefully they've not taken the same cheapening move that Hettich has.
I've always used Salice hinges. Never tried your Hettich
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I looked at the Hettich product catalog and most of their mounting plates are nickel plated pressed steel.  They do offer some cast ones, that being for face frame applications and ones they call "linear direct". Using their 165 deg hinges for inset applications must require the use of a "parallel adapter" plate, too, and those also are nickel plated.  

If Hettich doesn't have what you are looking for look at Blum's catalog.  

John
(11-15-2018, 10:26 AM)jteneyck Wrote: I looked at the Hettich product catalog and most of their mounting plates are nickel plated pressed steel.  They do offer some cast ones, that being for face frame applications and ones they call "linear direct". Using their 165 deg hinges for inset applications must require the use of a "parallel adapter" plate, too, and those also are nickel plated.  

If Hettich doesn't have what you are looking for look at Blum's catalog.  

John

I've been looking at the Blum line of hinges on one of the catalogs I have. Lots of options, I think I've identified the model(s) I'd want if I decide to go with Blum in the future. Need to order a couple of them, along with required mounting platesk to play with. My normal supplier of hardware has a minimum order of $50 requirement, so will have to find a different source to buy just one or two hinges. Frustrating, too, as I've got a good assortment of old style Hettich mounting plates which I guess I'll never get to use. Maybe at age 78 I should just give up building stuff that requires hinges. :-(
Try these people. They don't tear you up on quanity or shipping.
https://www.baersupply.com/baer/wg-index.jsp
I've had an account with them for 20 years probably. Good to deal with.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

AH Turf has the best prices I've ever found on Blum stuff.  Sometimes though, I buy from Woodworkers' Hardware.  Their prices aren't as good on Blum stuff, but they have other items I sometimes buy and it ends up being cheaper overall to buy it all from them and pay only one shipping charge.  

John