Opinions on Grizzly G1183 Combo Sander
I purchased a combo like this about 15 or 20 years ago. Initially it was more for metal work than wood, but increasingly used for shaping end grain. I found the disk sander more useful since the belt was not flat enough and anyway I used hand planes for all finishing (still do).

Over time I recognised that the 9" disk was limited in what it could do. Although the motor speed was 1440 rpm, the travel at the outside of the disk was too fast for wood, and it would burn. There was also simply too little area to work with. I began looking at one stage for a dedicated 12" disk sander.

Up until about a year ago, I had only used the sander in the horizontah position. Out of curiosity I decided to use it in the vertical, along with a platform I knocked together from MDF. This worked so well that it has not been altered in any way. The belt speed is good, and the sanding marks now run in a predictable direction. The finish is far better off the belt as a result. There is a wider area to use, and it may all be used. The dust is easier to collect. It is a win-win.

If I were looking to upgrade this combo sander, I would look for a dedicated edge sander, and forget about a disk sander.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
I had to look in the archives to find any pics but found that I had cleaned up the files before putting them on the zip. I guess I could take more if you need them.
I used 1/4" plate for the base and the roller plate. I had some thick walled square tube for the frame. I made the rollers from aluminum and used bearings that were too small and had to replace them with larger ones- I don't have the numbers off hand. The adjustable spring keeps the right tension on the belt. The upper roller is bowed just enough to allow the belt to center itself and not ride off track. It also rides on the adjustable swinging rollers plate which adjusts the belts inward/outward balance.
I used a 1.5 hp motor I calculated from a formula. The motor is 3,600 rpm in 240v.
I also used a calculator online to come up with the motors pulley size, the 2nd pulley and the final drive roller for the belt. I do have another pulley for the motor to increase the speed a bit if I needed to.
You can calculate the belt FPM by knowing the RPM of the belt.  72" belt.  72"/12"= 6'.  If the RPM is 1,000, then 1,000 x 6= 6,000 FPM. (Or, usually named "Surface Feet Per Minute"- SFPM).
 I had the advantage of making the cuts on the steel with the upright wood bandsaw with a metal cutting blade and reduced speed and the regular hand held bandsaw. I mig welded the pieces, but I've seen them done by bolting them together.  

It is time consuming, but a lot of fun and one learns a lot.  Best part is you can build it to your liking.

Without adjustments or motor.

[Image: HqUwXdy.jpg]
[Image: LGjLcDM.jpg]
[Image: I3WEqhi.jpg]

Just to the right on the picture. Sorry this is all I have in pics. Never mind the shop- it's getting too small.

[Image: y1Ey6rl.jpg]

I have since, reduced the width of the rollers, made a different adjustable rest and used larger bearings. The milling machine was $300.00- I took it all apart and replaced the bearings and cleaned up the gears and made new shafts.

Here's the 13x40 lathe, I gave $900.00 for. It's a workhorse.

[Image: 620gvUo.jpg]
(11-17-2018, 10:10 PM)Derek Cohen Wrote: I purchased a combo like this about 15 or 20 years ago. Initially it was more for metal work than wood, but increasingly used for shaping end grain. I found the disk sander more useful since the belt was not flat enough and anyway I used hand planes for all finishing (still do).

Over time I recognised that the 9" disk was limited in what it could do. Although the motor speed was 1440 rpm, the travel at the outside of the disk was too fast for wood, and it would burn. There was also simply too little area to work with. I began looking at one stage for a dedicated 12" disk sander.

Up until about a year ago, I had only used the sander in the horizontah position. Out of curiosity I decided to use it in the vertical, along with a platform I knocked together from MDF. This worked so well that it has not been altered in any way. The belt speed is good, and the sanding marks now run in a predictable direction. The finish is far better off the belt as a result. There is a wider area to use, and it may all be used. The dust is easier to collect. It is a win-win.

If I were looking to upgrade this combo sander, I would look for a dedicated edge sander, and forget about a disk sander.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks Derek, that helps a lot. Originally I was thinking if I found a good combo sander, I could free up some room and also get a machine that did more what I needed too. I'm finding more and more that the combo has it's challenges also - the grass isn't much greener.

Every once in a while on C.List I'll see an older cast or thicker steel 6x48 sander with a pulley system and no motor or table. I may just find me one of those for now and hook something to it, build a tilt table for it, etc. I don't know if the bearings would hold up under higher speeds or if I could even find parts? But I'm not sure how appealing that is without a quick change option or lever. Which I don't see on the older ones. I do want to build a belt grinder later, no mater what I end up with.
(11-18-2018, 01:07 AM)daddo Wrote: It is time consuming, but a lot of fun and one learns a lot.  Best part is you can build it to your liking.

Hey, thanks for diggin' up those pics. Didn't want you to go a bunch of trouble, but now I'm glad you did. Checking out your design gives me a mental platform. And that RPM/FPM equation will be put to use, thanks! I really like what you built, great design. I could see that being a serious work horse. I am looking forward to building one, for same reasons you said. I haven't made time for things like that lately either and I know I should. I like to learn, no matter how small and build with my hands. Being able to make it custom or just be able to say I did it, very satisfying. Puts me in a good mood.

Nice shop BTW. Sure wish I had a Mill and Lathe like that. I can't believe you got that for $900?! Man, you scored. :-) 13x40 is the size lathe I've been aiming for too. Most here are over priced, need to much work or too hard finding parts for to be worth it. But in my OCD checking I'm getting a good idea of what to expect, when the day does come. I'm itching for it like 'yesterday' with projects waiting. But there's no reason for me to be in a hurry, it's not holding me back yet. My ever shrinking shop has some things that need to happen before I can fit much more in it. Ha! But, if something comes up then I'm out the door and will worry about where it goes later. I found some of my best deals that way. 

I have friend who worked his butt off on a second full time job for years to afford having a shop built. I keep telling him to build 30% more than you think you need, or want. Because of what you will eventually 'have' or not haven't thought of yet. He's a very diversified workaholic DIY kinda guy. You know he's gona get swallowed up by tools having that space and freedom. lol! And the tool hoarding begins.... (Moo ah haha! That's my evil laugh while rubbing my hands together as I will have the 'I told you so' when he complains about how he should've built it bigger.) 

Thanks again for the pics!!!