Opinions on Grizzly G1183 Combo Sander
    I've been eyeballin' the Grizzly 1183, 6x48 belt, 12" Disc Combo Sander since last summer. I thought I could find something a little bit cheaper if I took my time. But I haven't found anything similar. I need tables on both belt and disc areas. The G1183 as opposed to their others, has a higher speed. The big attraction with this one is that Grizzly recommends it for use in both metal and wood. Metal will likely be its primary function. Finding a good belt grinder for less, is proven difficult. There are better ones of course. Ones with variable or 3 speed, high fpm/rpm/sfpm's too. But the price climbs steadily the more options they have. I'm feelin' a bit sticker shocked. I considered building my own. But I can't find 6" wide wheels/pulley kits anywhere at all. Just smaller stuff for knife making grinder kits. I've heard people comment that the higher speeds aren't as good for wood sanding. So if I find one that's better suited for metal and not so much for wood, I can live with that. I do have an older combo sander that I can get by with for wood, and think about replacing it later on when the demand increases enough to justify it. 

I found a great compact 120/220v commercial grade combo sander on Craig's List a month ago. I spent so much time researching it, I ended up being second in line by 2 minutes - instead of just answering the ad first. Snooze you lose I guess. I just wasn't sure of the specs, or the brand. And didn't want to answer the ad and waste his time not knowing first. It was $350 new in box and ended up being a $2,200 sander/grinder. Been kickin' myself for that one since.

I was curious if anyone has ever used the Grizzly G1183 combo sander and what you thought of it? Maybe some other suggestions of another one that's equivalent or better? If anyone knows of any that is? Anything at all to chew on that might help? I'm just having a real hard time justifying spending almost $900 on it. I'm sure it's great, and I'll likely end up going this route. I do wish it had a little more HP and few other things. But over all seems like a good sander. I'd just like to try everything I can first. Jet has one that's very similar and 2 HP - looks great. But they say it's for wood only. I tried looking here on good ole' woodnet. But only found two threads and they didn't apply. Anyway, thanks to everyone in advance no matter the outcome. Taker easy!
I had the 1276, which is the slower speed version of the same sander. The sander had 2 features I didn't care for. the first was the tracking mechanism of the belt. It was  difficult to get the belt tracked perfectly, no matter what I did it seemed to wonder a little after a few minutes of run time. The second was getting DC set up for the disc. This might not be an issue for you, but I had to cobble together a really unseemly arrangement to get that set up. I did have a problem that was my fault. In trying to track the belt, I was switching the sander on/off in short bursts. Turns out I did something bad, because it quite working altogether. The unit was still under warranty so I called Grizzly. They asked me to return the motor to them for repair. While this was no small feat (the sander had to be literally completely disassembled) and not cheap I did so. The motor alone weighed about 65#, so it just fit under the UPS weight limits. Anyway, I sent it back and they fixed it and returned it, relatively quickly as I recall. They also reimbursed me for the UPS charges I paid. I had explained to them I though it was my idiocy that caused the failure, but they fixed it anyway. Love that Grizzly CS. I did wind up selling that sander since I wasn't using it very much and needed the space. Now I'd like to have another one (combo sander, but probably not that model).
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I've had that sander, or it's predecessor, for about 25 years and never had any trouble with it.  Mine has no trouble tracking the belt.  I think the disk sander has some sort of chute cast into the housing at the bottom where you could cobble together dust collection.  I almost never use the disk sander so I can't remember.  But I do know that the belt side has no dust collection ports but needs one or two because it blows dust everywhere.  From the picture you posted it looks like they added something on the new model.  

The tables are beefy and adjust easily.  It seems plenty powerful enough for my needs, too.  I've sanded/ground both wood (mostly) and metal on it w/o problems, but I can imagine you could make it stall if you leaned on a something really hard.  

I chocked on the $500 - $600 price 25 years ago, but it's been trouble free and does what I ask of it, so I have no regrets and no plans to get rid of it.  

John
Thanks! All great points to know from people who've actually used them or something close. I appreciate it. I've read about a 50/50 on the tracking issue and a few things between. A dust collector is a must for me when it comes to wood. Thanks for bringing that up, I kind of assumed that in the back of my mind getting so caught up in everything else. A lot of my tools are Grizzly, I've always had good luck with them myself. And even if it's without some bells and whistles. I can live with that, if it's built solid with some weight to it and a reliable workhorse that doesn't cost me unnecessary time. I guess I'll have to fudge up the dough, if I want something like that. Ha!
While you are thinking about the Grizzly you might want to keep your eyes open for a good Powermatic 30a.  You will likely see some priced higher than the Grizzly but you might get lucky.
(11-16-2018, 02:20 AM)Huxleywood Wrote: While you are thinking about the Grizzly you might want to keep your eyes open for a good Powermatic 30a.  You will likely see some priced higher than the Grizzly but you might get lucky.

Okay, I'm going to do that right now. Thank you!!!
I had a similar one that you show there and never got along with the disk sander. The smaller diameter disk sander has a much slower sanding rate toward the inside of the disk and the sandpaper would always overheat- overheating the work, making removing the sandpaper near impossible. I quit using it. If I were to use a disk sander, I would look for a diameter of 20" or more. That being said, I'm sure there are many who find the disk sander just fine.
 Being fed up with the cost of some power sanders as you have found out, and that I work a lot with metal, I decided to make my own belt grinder. I settled on the 2x72" type and haven't looked back. A 4" belt may be better for some woodworking, but I've had no big problems with the 2". I think the Grizzly feed rate of 5,000 fpm is a bit fast- I'm set at 2,000 fpm and I'm quite happy with that. I rarely use the wheel bench  grinder anymore as the belt grinder produces less heat and I can use a 30 or 40 grit to eat through a piece of steel or use a 100- 120 grit to re-edge a kitchen knife to a fine edge or sand the edge of a board- even shape wood with it. Using what I had in the shop and just buying a 18"x30" 1/4" steel plate, buying the motor, turning the rollers and so on, I spent maybe a total of $350.00.  But perhaps a belt grinder is not what your in to.

I have a lot of great metal working tools I was able to buy cheaply on CL and restore them. But I was willing to wait- as in the mill and lathe, 3 years or so. Every so often that chance comes along and when it does, I jump on it immediately, as waiting just a few minutes means a loss and I usually stop what I'm doing and pick it up right then and there. I don't even take the time to tell the wife I'm gone or pet the dog. Be prepared with your trailer, lifts and so on so you can load and go. 80% of People on CL will sell to the first that shows up with cash- regardless of "deals" made on the phone.

If you really like that Grizzly machine, by all means buy it, but remember, it will always be there waiting for you, giving you time for CL chances for a better machine for a fraction of the cost.
I have that model as well. It's a mediocre machine. As was stated mine has tracking issues. Most of the time it's ok, but sometimes the belt will drift on its own and start cutting into the shroud. It also starts drifting if you apply a medium amount of pressure on it. Changing the belt is easy. Mine has no dust chute on it which sucks.

The disc works ok, but putting a new one on and removing it is a big pain since the table does not disassemble easily. I've taken to cutting the plastic backing on the disc into quarters, centering it on the plate then removing each quarter and sticking it to the plate to reduce the pain of having it stick all over while sliding it between the plate and table.

Mine is the high speed version and it is far too fast for fine work or truing up turning segments, but good for creating huge clouds of dust when working with larger blanks.

I would not purchase another one.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
(11-17-2018, 08:55 AM)daddo Wrote: I had a similar one that you show there and never got along with the disk sander. The smaller diameter disk sander has a much slower sanding rate toward the inside of the disk and the sandpaper would always overheat- overheating the work, making removing the sandpaper near impossible. I quit using it. If I were to use a disk sander, I would look for a diameter of 20" or more. That being said, I'm sure there are many who find the disk sander just fine.
 Being fed up with the cost of some power sanders as you have found out, and that I work a lot with metal, I decided to make my own belt grinder. I settled on the 2x72" type and haven't looked back. A 4" belt may be better for some woodworking, but I've had no big problems with the 2". I think the Grizzly feed rate of 5,000 fpm is a bit fast- I'm set at 2,000 fpm and I'm quite happy with that. I rarely use the wheel bench  grinder anymore as the belt grinder produces less heat and I can use a 30 or 40 grit to eat through a piece of steel or use a 100- 120 grit to re-edge a kitchen knife to a fine edge or sand the edge of a board- even shape wood with it. Using what I had in the shop and just buying a 18"x30" 1/4" steel plate, buying the motor, turning the rollers and so on, I spent maybe a total of $350.00.  But perhaps a belt grinder is not what your in to.

I have a lot of great metal working tools I was able to buy cheaply on CL and restore them. But I was willing to wait- as in the mill and lathe, 3 years or so. Every so often that chance comes along and when it does, I jump on it immediately, as waiting just a few minutes means a loss and I usually stop what I'm doing and pick it up right then and there. I don't even take the time to tell the wife I'm gone or pet the dog. Be prepared with your trailer, lifts and so on so you can load and go. 80% of People on CL will sell to the first that shows up with cash- regardless of "deals" made on the phone.

If you really like that Grizzly machine, by all means buy it, but remember, it will always be there waiting for you, giving you time for CL chances for a better machine for a fraction of the cost.

Sounds familiar daddo. I have a lot of metal working tools, being my main focus. I started setting up for wood through Craigslist. So, I ended up with a noticeable amount of Grizzly machines only because they were available, easily fixed and I got them for a song and dance. I did try for others, I just ended up with more Grizzly's that way. I know what you mean about jumping on it. Gotta be aggressive & ready. I've been REALLY wanting a metal lathe for the last 2 years. One of a few tools I missed out on was a $5,000 Jet lathe 2 weeks ago that was priced at $300 - needed some TLC + adjusting but ran ok. Looked new barely even used in the pics. I hesitated for a few minutes thinking it was a scam. Once I spoke with them, I found it wasn't. If the other guy didn't show. I was next in line. It sold, of course. I did buy a New Grizzly Bandsaw and Spindle sander this summer though. Can't remember the last time I bought something new, so that was a real treat for me!

I like disc sanders for fine work or making a nice flat surface. But not a fan of combo's much for the similar reasons you mentioned. The disc doesn't last long on my 12" pedestal disc sander. And it's a little under powered for some jobs. I thought a belt would last longer, be cooler and so on. Much easier to change for all the same reasons too. Sounds like I'm walking in your foot steps here. Ha! 

This has been such a headache. I got to the point where I was willing to settle, just to get it over with than to lend any more time to it. I'm rethinking that Grizzly Combo now. I've looked at belt grinder kits for a while. But nothing 6" wide comes up. I wanted to have more surface area for certain jobs. I used huge industrial one at my last job and loved that thing! NO idea what the FPM's or anything was on it. But that beast was an influence for me seeking to build a wider belt grinder. Maybe that's  not realistic and I'd like a smaller width if I tried it? I've got plenty of stock and a 2HP, single phase, 230v, TEFC H.Frt Farm Duty motor. Just no pulleys / wheels / drums etc. I'd like to have one wheel removable to change out sizes for pipe notching? I'd planned on building a separate belt grinder for pipe notching. But it would be nice to have one removable drum or wheels for that so I could have it all in one tool and save precious space- have you ever heard of that? If you have any recommendations or advice on do's & dont's, I'm all ears. Or do I need to start another thread for that question? Not sure how the rules here interpret that? I would love to see what you built if you feel like posting some pics?? I'm still unclear how to chose the correct motor (and or pulleys) to properly translate to SFPM or FPM with the belt grinders. I was told fast is better for metal work 3450-5000rpms?? That a 1750rpm is too slow? Which is what my disc sander is, and it's okay (ish). The lack of that equation was one of the reasons for not getting around to building one. I didn't wanna do all that and have it bogg down or burn up motors because I miscalculated. I guess I'm getting old, lazy and impatient in my years. 5 yrs ago even, I would've dived in and Frankensteined that grinder until I got it right, no matter what it took. Just don't have as much time to spare these days, I guess.
(11-17-2018, 10:36 AM)SteveS Wrote: I have that model as well. It's a mediocre machine. As was stated mine has tracking issues. Most of the time it's ok, but sometimes the belt will drift on its own and start cutting into the shroud. It also starts drifting if you apply a medium amount of pressure on it. Changing the belt is easy. Mine has no dust chute on it which sucks.

The disc works ok, but putting a new one on and removing it is a big pain since the table does not disassemble easily. I've taken to cutting the plastic backing on the disc into quarters, centering it on the plate then removing each quarter and sticking it to the plate to reduce the pain of having it stick all over while sliding it between the plate and table.

Mine is the high speed version and it is far too fast for fine work or truing up turning segments, but good for creating huge clouds of dust when working with larger blanks.

I would not purchase another one.

Thanks SteveS, I think I'm going to hold off on this one and explore more options. Maybe just build a belt grinder. I really appreciate the input. You guys hit all the points I was concerned or uncertain about. No one has said it's a great machine that they couldn't live without. Like daddo said, it'll be there while I can look around elsewhere. I know I was settling, but didn't feel like I had many options and got frustrated. If I built one I could easily end with a far nicer machine for that much $'s. Just a matter of having the time and equations right. Maybe C.List will have something before then.