How would you mount this escutcheon?
I want to recess this into the face of a box and THINK I know what to do but want to ask you guys first. Box is 1/2" thick.

1) Chisel out a recess just deep enough so that the escutcheon sits *just* proud of the surface. Make it a tight, friction fit.

2) Drill/file the opening for the key.

3) Apply a tiny bit of epoxy to secure it in the hole.

I've never done this before. Help!

Attached Files Image(s)

Semper fi,
Brad

You are already half way there.

The lines you have drawn where you want it should
work just fine.

Xacto knife under very bight light. Cut along the line,
obviously VERY carefully. Shallow at first.  Then go back
over it a bit deeper.

Now you have the "walls" of the small area defined.
A very sharp chisel , or a VERY small router plane,
and going very slowly, frequently checking with the
escutcheon itsself.

These are the kinda fiddly jobs that you just sorta zone
out and do. Don't overthink it.  The escutcheon will tell
you when you are done.

Least ways, that's what I would do!!

Post up the pic of the finished product!!

And good luck!!
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
Drill two holes the outside diameter of the brass piece in the back of the piece leaving about 1/8" of wood.

Chisel out the wood between the holes.

Drill out the rest of the holes using a bit slightly smaller.

Bevel the edges of the lip that is left.

Epoxy in the brass piece.

You could also cut a larger square piece of wood to mortise in behind the brass piece.

Not real clear but I hope you get the idea.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
(11-16-2018, 09:25 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: I want to recess this into the face of a box and THINK I know what to do but want to ask you guys first.  Box is 1/2" thick.

1)  Chisel out a recess just deep enough so that the escutcheon sits *just* proud of the surface.  Make it a tight, friction fit.

2)  Drill/file the opening for the key.

3)  Apply a tiny bit of epoxy to secure it in the hole.

I've never done this before.  Help!

Sounds like a plan.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Each of the plans listed above should work.  Just wanted to post that I have done it a few times - don't fret about it too much.  No matter what you do, unless you have some huge gap, it will look fine.

Even if the hole is slightly oversized around much of it, so long as it is tight in a few opposing places, it will still stick in place and won't fall out, even without the epoxy.  Think about anytime you have tried to fit one piece into another - like a drawer - while it may have a few thousands of clearance over most of the two sides, all you need is a few tiny areas where it is oversized, and it will get stuck.  Same thing here, when you have it nearly done, you will just push it the rest of the way in place.   

The fidgety part for me is getting the keyhole to line up with the lock assembly, so the key goes in smoothly -  it isn't hard, but you have to trim the hole, IIRC I used a small file, try the key,  trim the hole, try the key and keep repeating till it feels right.
Well, I took some advice, ignored other advice, and dove in. My first attempt wasn't too bad. I'll post up a pic later. There are some small gaps around it, but from 2' away, I'll call it good.

I ended up scoring the outline with a knife and then routing it out with a trim router and a 1/8" bit so it couldn't grab.

Thanks!
Semper fi,
Brad

I was going to suggest trim router, but figured you would figure that one out.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Yeah, I don't have any chisels small enough for this, nor any curved carving tools.
Semper fi,
Brad