Apologize if you have seen this, but what a saw!
I had a choice, and I just ordered the Hammer A3-41 combo machine. More expensive then two separate machines, but no way I could get a 16" jointer and a 16" planer crammed into the last vestiges of unused space in my garage. I visited a guy who had one before I plunked down the cash, and he seemed very happy with it. Took about 2 minutes to change over from jointer to planer. I will probably have to be conscious of my workflow so that I am not constantly having to flip back and forth. If I found myself having to go from bandsaw to jointer to planer and back, piece by piece, I'd probably get frustrated pretty quickly. But I get frustrated when I do that now, anyways. I think it is a nice compromise between capacity and space. And if it turns out I am very wrong, I can offload it pretty quickly.
Math is tough. Let's go shopping!