Table Saw Dust Collection Re-thinking
After reading nearly everything on the Pentz website, it is safe to conclude that there is no way that the hobbyist woodworker can ever work in a safe, fine dust-free, environment.
I am quickly realizing that I have NO natural talent... But I am trying to fake it.
My old delta never had a collector, so I don't collect- I just cut. No use in creating a problem for myself that doesn't really exist. Dust is what happens when you cut wood.
I do have a sanding room because sanding is where the fine dust becomes a problem.
(11-21-2018, 07:16 PM)titanxt Wrote: After reading nearly everything on the Pentz website, it is safe to conclude that there is no way that the hobbyist woodworker can ever work in a safe, fine dust-free, environment.

I worked in an industry where exposure to airborne dust was carefully monitored, despite no evidence of actual disease after many clinical studies, and we spent millions of dollars on various engineering controls.  We could easily control dust levels well below industry standards in most areas of our process, but those levels were still higher than what you would get when wearing a high quality respirator.  Most of our employees accepted whatever risk still remained, but we also provided NIOSH approved respirators to everyone and those few workers who still had concerns wore them some or all the time.   In the areas where we could not implement engineering controls that met industry standards without supplemental PPE respirators were mandatory and workers in those areas regularly were tested for fit compliance.  

To know your risk you have to measure the level of fine dust you are exposed to and compare that to the permissible exposure level.  If the amount you measure exceeds the PEL then you either implement engineering controls to get the exposure below the PEL and/or wear the appropriate respirator.  

If your personal PEL is zero then, yes, stop woodworking.  Stop driving, walking down stairs, drinking alcohol, and lots of other stuff, too.  

John
I am not sure I can effectively measure the amount of fine dust that I am producing in my small space in the garage... My concerns are having that dust enter my home and exposing my family - even if it might just be causing allergy-type reactions. I also do not want to tote and oxygen tank around when I am older for the sake of some poorly made wood items. Just not sure what the next course of action might be. I am now skeptical of the measures that I have currently in place. I would like to think that the .5 micron Wynn filter is doing its job, BUT that's only if the Delta DC is doing its job.

Things would be simpler if I had an unattached shop with plenty of windows and the ability to have the DC outside and plenty of ventilation. Can't see that happening in my future unfortunately.
I am quickly realizing that I have NO natural talent... But I am trying to fake it.
We all know people who never smoke but die of lung cancer, and people who smoke but die of natural cause or something else. Despite that, I avoid being in any smoking environment.

I use every possible dust collection methods in my shop, at source as much as possible. As far as I can tell, the Festool sanders offer the best dust collection protection for sanding. Tablesaw -- it is hard to beat the SawStop above and below dust collection system. Miter saw? Again the Kapex which I don't have, but have used it several times...to experience the big difference between it and my Dewalt.

I have a filtration system, but I wonder if it is powerful enough to circulate clean air. I am worried about sawdust, so I will try not to expose myself to it without some form of protection.

Simon
(11-24-2018, 02:37 PM)titanxt Wrote: I am not sure I can effectively measure the amount of fine dust that I am producing in my small space in the garage... My concerns are having that dust enter my home and exposing my family - even if it might just be causing allergy-type reactions. I also do not want to tote and oxygen tank around when I am older for the sake of some poorly made wood items. Just not sure what the next course of action might be. I am now skeptical of the measures that I have currently in place. I would like to think that the .5 micron Wynn filter is doing its job, BUT that's only if the Delta DC is doing its job.

Things would be simpler if I had an unattached shop with plenty of windows and the ability to have the DC outside and plenty of ventilation. Can't see that happening in my future unfortunately.

Pentz discusses that you can measure fine dust with a Dylos Pro meter.   That will tell you how effective your DC system is, but you should already know from reading Pentz's website that he claims no DC system that recycles air back into the shop, except ones with a ClearView cyclone, will meet the PEL, so chances are your current set up is really bad.    

My opinion is you can absolutely keep the fine dust levels in your house well below acceptable levels by sealing the shop from the house, installing a heat recovery ventilation system in your house to bring in fresh air, etc.  You can most probably get your shop below the PEL for wood dust by connecting every major dust generating machine to a DC system capable of carrying that dust away, and venting the exhaust outside.  You likely will need heat in your shop to make up for the heat lost with the DC exhaust. You also may need a heat recovery ventilation system there, too, to deal with dust not associated with your major machines.  And you may need to wear a respirator some or all of the time, depending upon what the air monitoring results show.  

Or you can sell your equipment.  

John
I have a Delta contractor saw and blocked the open-ended back similar to what Andy did. I used two pieces of plywood that slid together from each side, with spaces cut for the belt. After lots of experimenting with sealing gaps and creating air openings, I never got close to 100% dust collection. However, I discovered that dust accumulating in corners of the table saw cabinet formed a natural, curved baffle that defined the suction pattern. I leave the accumulated dust in place. New dust gets sucked out by my HF 2 hp collector (I think "2 hp" is Chinese for "1 hp"). Not perfect, but it works well for me.

Rich