Veritas (Lee Valley) shooting board finish?
I recently received my new Veritas shooting board-left handed.  My question is should I consider applying some sort of finish to keep it looking decent?  I know this is something that will last past my lifetime, and I would like it to stay nice both function and looks-when practical.  I know this is probably a little over the top, but if I am going to do it, now would be the time.

Have any of you finished yours, and if so with what?  I think maybe a couple coats of poly would be good?  I know it will get scratched up, and I shouldn't be afraid to use it.  I just want to keep something this nice good for a long time.

What's you thoughts?  Unless I really do a poor job finishing (big runs), I don't see what harm it would do?

Thanks!
I made mine, but all I did was wax it, top and bottom, and renew every once in a while. That being said, I don't have swings of temperature in my shop, nor humidity, but I don't think that would make much difference.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(11-17-2018, 05:28 PM)Admiral Wrote: I made mine, but all I did was wax it, top and bottom, and renew every once in a while.  That being said, I don't have swings of temperature in my shop, nor humidity, but I don't think that would make much difference.

+1
Fair winds and following seas,
Jim Waldron
I leave my plywood shooting board (not Veritas) as is, with no finish or wax applied, which would be extra work with no additional benefits to me.

At least 18 years old...still functioning like it was on Day 1, with dead precision results.

Simon
The platform should never be finished in a way that leaves it slippery. Especially the face of the fence. in fact, one could add a non-slip (sand paper, castor sugar sprinkled over poly, or stair tread non-slip). If unsure, leave it bare wood. Or a single coat of Danish Oil (enough to seal the wood, but not enough to sit on the surface).

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(11-17-2018, 07:15 PM)Derek Cohen Wrote: The platform should never be finished in a way that leaves it slippery. Especially the face of the fence. in fact, one could add a non-slip (sand paper, castor sugar sprinkled over poly, or stair tread non-slip). If unsure, leave it bare wood. Or a single coat of Danish Oil (enough to seal the wood, but not enough to sit on the surface).

Regards from Perth

Derek

+1 on keeping the jig non-slippery.

Simon
You are correct about the face of the fence. Hopefully I would have thought of that. I will probably apply abrasive paper (College Teacher would scream if we said "sand paper".) Most of my miter gauges for table saw have abrasive on them.

Right about the platform also, I guess I know the answer.