UniSaw gurus... Transportation advice??
If memory serves, I remember hearing something about supporting or removing the motor prior to transporting a Uni.

My Dad passed away this year and I was offered his 1940's Uni... But, I really don't have the room in my shop. I know some other (vultures) people had their eye on it but my Mom is giving it to one of my nephews. He has an interest and the room for it. I'm thrilled he's getting the saw (good kid). He didn't really realize what he was getting until I told him about the saws. My grandfather purchased it new right after ww2. Dad brought it home when Grandpa fell ill in the 60's. It was the first table saw I ever saw. It was a fixture in our garage and Dad built his work bench so the Uni could slide under it so we could put a car in the garage. Anyway, enough of that...

He'll be driving to Vancouver Wash for thanksgiving and taking the saw home in his truck. What does he need to do to prepare it for transport? He'll have plenty of lifting help.

Any advice from those who have done it would be appreciated.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

When I bought my Uni new in the mid 90's there was a metal bracket between one of the motor bolts and the cabinet that supported much of the motor's weight during shipping.  I've moved the saw twice since then and I removed the motor both times to protect the trunnions.

Mike
Remove the motor, fence, wings.  Back a truck up to it.  Flip it into the truck upside down and take it home that way. Table and trunnion weight is now near the bed and it is not top heavy.  One person can actually do the flip but 2 makes it easier.  A strap or 2 and you are good to go.  Reverse for the unload.
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"
I've moved a few Uni's and its larger cousin and I never removed the motor. The mount is pretty substantial and the amount of force it would take for something to break it would do lots of other damage as well. If you are worried, make sure you drop the blade down to it's lowest position and take off all the easy to remove things like the fence and splitter. Otherwise just be as careful with it as you would any other piece of equipment and you will be fine.
This will be about a 700 mile haul in a pick-up
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

Have moved four cabinet saws,  mine and three friends' saws, all under 150 miles on mostly interstate roads.
I removed the motor, my friends did not.
Two of my friends' saws, a ShopFox and a Unisaw traveled with no issues.  One, a Unisaw, broke whatever the motor is attached to (trunnion?). 

That is why I removed the motor on mine.  Took maybe 10 minutes to pull the wiring and remove.  Some of that time was taking pictures to aid in reinstallation.

Actually was a good thing.  I discovered much of the wire insulation had turned brittle and was failing.  I was lucky I hadn't had a fire. 

It was heavy.  When reinstalling I used a ratchet strap and an old scissor jack.  Went back on in ten minutes.
The bolt ears is what typically breaks on the front or back cast iron trunnion brackets. I've moved probably 20 different Unisaws over the years and never broke anything ... one even took a tumble when a strap broke on an appliance dolly. When I've moved them I typically am able to do it by myself but it is much easier with a helper. If I am by myself the fence and the side wings (3 bolts each) along with the entire table (4 corner bolts) comes off the saw ... if I have a helper then only the fence and side wings (3 bolts each) are removed. Of course all the other little stuff like guards and throat plates are also removed. I have never ever pulled the motors. The base is actually really manageable with the fence and entire table removed.

Use an appliance dolly to get it to the truck or trailer. If the vehicle has a high bed then lay a moving blanket down on the edge of the bed, with the saw oriented with the back of the saw towards the bed tip the cabinet back, lift the base and slide into truck on it's back. Once it is in the truck stand the saw back up on it's base for the ride. Strap down the saw for transport and reverse for unload.
2023-2024 NFL Pick 'em
Group ID#: 34296
Group Password IBTP
(11-19-2018, 02:10 AM)CARYinWA Wrote: Remove the motor, fence, wings.  Back a truck up to it.  Flip it into the truck upside down and take it home that way. Table and trunnion weight is now near the bed and it is not top heavy.  One person can actually do the flip but 2 makes it easier.  A strap or 2 and you are good to go.  Reverse for the unload.

this is how I moved mine, with the exception of the motor, left that alone..  didn't break it
Smile
(11-19-2018, 02:22 PM)mound Wrote: this is how I moved mine, with the exception of the motor, left that alone..  didn't break it
Smile

I've moved my Jet cabinet saw three time now.  Removed the wings, rails and extension table, but never removed the motor.
(11-19-2018, 07:13 AM)EvilTwin Wrote: I've moved a few Uni's and its larger cousin and I never removed the motor.  The mount is pretty substantial and the amount of force it would take for something to break it would do lots of other damage as well.  If you are worried, make sure you drop the blade down to it's lowest position and take off all the easy to remove things like the fence and splitter.  Otherwise just be as careful with it as you would any other piece of equipment and you will be fine.

+1
I have moved a few myself ....did nothing ... no problems . Of coarse it's better to be safe than sorry . I was just to lazy .
Sleep
Haul from Redmonds in Atlanta. If I am going to Atlanta I ain't getting one saw .

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.