Paulownia chest video - must see
Must see on youtube
MAKE: Void your warranty, violate a user agreement, fry a circuit, blow a fuse, poke an eye out...  www.makezine.com

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

No kidding!
   -Howard
(11-20-2018, 04:05 PM)jgourlay Wrote: Must see on youtube

Very interesting.  The piston fit of those drawers sure was impressive.  But I guess that wood doesn't expand/contract with the seasons or they are OK not being able to open them when it does.  

John
(11-20-2018, 10:30 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Very interesting.  The piston fit of those drawers sure was impressive.  But I guess that wood doesn't expand/contract with the seasons or they are OK not being able to open them when it does.  

John

Was thinking the same about that fitment and wood movement. I have a Paulownia log waiting to saw...I will try to quarter it and see how it tools and behaves.

Since there are significant dust collection ducts in the background, I assume all the of the hand-tooling, etc. was for video purposes...not a lot of romanticism in using a table saw. 
Laugh
Two things that stuck out to me:

- It is interesting to me that the Palowania is "dried in the sun for over 3 years and treated with lime and wood ash".

Their comment to a question regarding the durability of Palowania (as it is a very soft wood) is:
"Wood logs are sawn timber, Akira dry · dried and hand-salted for 3 years. Therefore, it has become rich in durability."

- @1:27  they appear to be hammer tapping (compressing) the fingers on the joints prior to applying glue. The moisture in the glue then swells the joints further tightening them I suppose.

Also learn something for these kinds of videos.
~Dan.
Paulownia is extremely soft and also stringy.  Tools need to be very sharp.
Quote:Their comment to a question regarding the durability of Palowania (as it is a very soft wood) is:

Although soft, Paulownia is naturally rot resistant. It can be attacked by insects though, so I wonder if the "salt" is actually borax to repel borer beetles?

The woods movement with humidity changes is relatively small (compared to many hardwoods anyway), which would help with the close fitting drawers, along with the very straight grain they are using. Should make any movement even and predictable.
Glass suction cup to remove drawers -- [head slap]

LOVE IT!!