What to do with DC Shavings?
What do you do with your wood shaving from the dust collector?

Currently I have 3 - 55 gallon drums I use with my dust collector, 1 at a time. When 2 get full the next time I have the tractor running I take them to the garden area and dump them. Then spread it out and run the tiller over the area. I have just about enough wood dust in the garden and trying to figure out what to do now. Thought about trying to make fire wood logs out of it but how? or what else to do with it. I do have a burn pile but the flying burning wood shaving scares me with a hay field near the burn pile. I only burn after a rain. I can fill up 2 barrel in a couple of days then go 2 weeks and not fill 1.

So what do you do with your shaving / dust?
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
(11-21-2018, 03:45 PM)lift mechanic Wrote: What do you do with your wood shaving from the dust collector?

Currently I have 3 - 55 gallon drums I use with my dust collector, 1 at a time. When 2 get full the next time I have the tractor running I take them to the garden area and dump them. Then spread it out and run the tiller over the area. I have just about enough wood dust in the garden and trying to figure out what to do now. Thought about trying to make fire wood logs out of it but how? or what else to do with it. I do have a burn pile but the flying burning wood shaving scares me with a hay field near the burn pile. I only burn after a rain. I can fill up 2 barrel in a couple of days then go 2 weeks and not fill 1.

I give mine (all pine) to a nearby horse farm for bedding.
I put mine into a compost heap, but I don't have nearly the quantity that you have. Putting it on the garden can be both good and bad. As I understand it from my readings, wood shavings and sawdust can use up a lot of nitrogen as it decays. So, you should add some nitrogen fertilizer as you till it in. Also, don't put any shavings or dust from treated lumber on your garden.

It seems like making logs would be a good plan. I've never done it, but my understanding is that you need other materials (wax, I think) and something to compress it with. Plus, I'm assuming, it probably takes time to do. Otherwise, I don't know. I'll be watching for other answers as well.
I don't create as much as you either but I spread mine out in my raised flower beds and the rest goes into the compost bin.  Any Cedar or Pine shavings goes to a local wildlife rehabilitator for bedding in her cages.
(11-21-2018, 03:45 PM)lift mechanic Wrote: What do you do with your wood shaving from the dust collector?

Couple of home choices.  Mix with high-nitrogen hay spoils or chicken manure for composting, or roll in newsprint to make giant doobies to feed the outdoor boiler. 

Nicest is to find someone with chickens or rabbits who will take the clean shavings (sift the dust out) for bedding.  Even nicer if they return it after the livestock is done. 

Careful with the pure manure.  Both of the above, and horse, get so hot they'll combust the compost heap.  Turn or spread to cool.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
they work great to keep weeds down along fence lines.
if you happen to find a horsefarm to donate to, i believe walnut and butternut  isnt good for the horses.
http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/live...walnut.htm
Dump it in a low spot along the edge of the woods.

Ed
(11-21-2018, 05:24 PM)tomsteve Wrote: they work great to keep weeds down along fence lines.
if you happen to find a horsefarm to donate to, i believe walnut and butternut  isnt good for the horses.
http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/live...walnut.htm

I was about to ask about walnut
All goes into the compost bin. Sometimes it's a pickup bed load of it.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Into the dumpster for mine.  I get just about all dust, and very little shavings.

As stated above:  Walnut is not good for horses.  Dumping sawdust in the garden is a nitrogen killer

The use for weed control on fence lines is interesting; I have 600' of fence line, and if I could control that line, it would be a great help.  Never thought about using saw dust.