it's always something, dryer overheating repeatedly
those are really neat, might have to get a set
(11-27-2018, 06:19 PM)MarkSingleton Wrote: On a related note regarding dryers..... if you have not seen these
vent connectors from Lee Valley, you really should check them out.

Cuts WAY down on the length of flex tubing needed to go from the
dryer to the wall.  Like to about a foot or less in my case. HUGE
improvement.  Not inexpensive, but this is one of those head slapping
"why did I not do this sooner" kinda expenses.  

http://www.leevalley.com/us/garden/page....2194,67373

It looks cool.  But when I recently replaced my vinyl vent hose I went with all rigid aluminum ducts including a rotating adjustable angle elbow at both ends.  From what I read "best practices" is to avoid the flex hose and to join the aluminum duct sections with aluminum tape (not duct tape) and not rivets or screws.  This is to minimize the accumulation of lint in the ducts.

It turned out to be really easy, and the aluminum tape made an exceptionally strong joint (and fast and easy).  I would do it again that way in the future.  The adjustable elbows were easy to use too.

This is the elbow:  https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/...SY355_.jpg
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Cooler. I did the same thing. All smooth metal ducting from the mag vent connection to
the outside of the house. With the duct tape. No screws. Still have to use a bit of flex
to get out of the dryer to the mag vent connector. But it is VERY minimal. As I say, less
than a foot, and even at that, with dryer in the normal position, it 'squashes down" to
a very short length.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
My dryer used to be on an interior wall with maybe 25' of duct and clothes would take forever to dry.  I added a booster fan and that helped, but still longer than it should and a pia to clean.  I moved just the dryer to the wall right near the hole where the vent exits the basement and it's made a world of difference.  Got one of these to move the laundry from the washer to the dryer and no complaints from the wife or my 84 year old mom.
[Image: 71-ajugPvZL._SL1500_.jpg]
That's interesting about the long vent making the dryer take too long.  That's one of the complaints about the dryer right now.

I should have thought of putting the dryer on the outside wall before I fixed the outside wall.  One issue is that the water heater is right where the dryer would be if I moved it to the outside wall.  I am working at getting the venting a lot shorter, I think I can cut the duct length in half.  

How do you go rigid duct all the way to the dryer?  I was thinking about using one of the space saver ducts.  In particular, this one: link https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AH...0DER&psc=1
It's meant to hard mount to the dryer.  That would be fine as long as I don't have to get to the controls

I would like to go up inside the wall again, but I think the ducting I put inside the wall is part of the problem, it's too big. If I move the dryer, it will be too hard to go inside the wall, too much plumbing
The advantage to the duct I linked is I have to go 90 degrees to get to the outside wall.
It's time to take a look at the LG ventless dryer. We bought one at Home Depot and couldn't be happier. We have a screened in back porch where the vent dust was always difficult to manage.
George

if it ain't broke, you're not tryin'
Quando omni flunkus, moritati.
Red Green

I looked at the ventless dryers at lowes.  I think the small size would be a hard sell in our house.
got rid of the old flapper on the outside and put a new one on.  Got rid of some flex hose near the wall.  There is a jog there that isn't as bad as I thought it was, two nearly straight ells clears the joists.  You can actually see outside through the 's' bend.  There was a clump of lint near the outside, and in the straight section.  I also got rid of an ell at the dryer.  

I'm guardedly optimistic that we can go another 10-15 years before anything else needs to be done.
Something to think about with dryer vents. Most manufacturers recommend 25ft straight. Deduct 5' for every 90deg bend. If the exterior vent is 90deg, that counts as 5ft too.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

Something to think about with dryer vents. Most manufacturers recommend 25ft straight. Deduct 5' for every 90deg bend. If the exterior vent is 90deg, that counts as 5ft too.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay