Craftsman pushing out Kobalt at Lowes
The toolman at my local Lowes said that Kobalt brand tools no longer have much of a spot as they will be replaced by the Craftsman brand. He was to quick to point out that they will continue to warranty the kobalt items. I don't know about your stor,but mine is already about 50% Craftsman already.
1st class birdhouse builder/scrapwood mfg.
(11-22-2018, 10:00 PM)messmaker Wrote: The toolman at my local Lowes said that Kobalt brand tools no longer have much of a spot as they will be replaced by the Craftsman brand. He was to quick to point out that they will continue to warranty the kobalt items. I don't know about your stor,but mine is already about 50% Craftsman already.

Just saw a TV ad for craftsman tools at Lowes.
Yep, they’re here in Hawaii too!
VH07V  
Their TV ads proclaim "Lowes is the new home for Craftsman", making me think they will have exclusive rights in a short time. I won't mind that if the tools are returned to their former quality (USA made, etc.).
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(11-23-2018, 06:31 AM)fredhargis Wrote: Their TV ads proclaim "Lowes is the new home for Craftsman", making me think they will have exclusive rights in a short time. I won't mind that if the tools are returned to their former quality (USA made, etc.).

Fred, when I read your comment, I was motivated to search on "Craftsman made in USA".  One of the hits took me to a Wikipedia page: 

C-man Wiki page

I found it somewhat interesting about the history of the brand and the tools.  The page may not all be "100% absolute truth", few Wiki pages are.  But I did find it worth my time. 

The Wiki page doesn't come right out and say it, but does state "while tools produced for Craftsman by Western Forge such as adjustable wrenches, screwdrivers, pliers and larger mechanic tool sets remain made in the United States, although as of 2018, most if not all of the production for these products have moved over to Asia."
The Kobalt brand tools IMO are better than the Craftsman brand so they are hoping the name and history of Craftsman mean something still for there sales. 

No Thanks ............
(11-23-2018, 08:44 AM)WxMan Wrote: Fred, when I read your comment, I was motivated to search on "Craftsman made in USA".  One of the hits took me to a Wikipedia page: 

C-man Wiki page

although as of 2018, most if not all of the production for these products have moved over to Asia."

Yeah, I know. That's why I'm hoping the Lowes thing will bring the manufacturer back to USA made. I have a number of Craftsman mechanic USA tools, and I probably won't take them in for exchange if one breaks. It would be replaced by an import copy. Interesting to me was that the early Kobalt tools were made by the parent of Snap On, and were really well made tools. Now they are imports as well.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I've seen articles stating that Snap-on and Matco have been migrating production to Asia.

The only notable "reverse migration" I've seen is recently-renewed production of locking pliers into the old Vise Grip plant in Dewitt, Nebraska.  Even that's not a true reverse migration.  Vice Grips are still made overseas; Malco Products restarted the production line for their own brand of locking pliers in the former Vice Grip plant.

If it's all sourced from China anyway, I might as well just buy the individual tools I need from HF.
The problem for the Craftsman brand (which has repatriated some production to the US) is whether or not it can support the US made prices now that the perceived quality has suffered so much in the last 10 years.  

Quality US made mechanics tools continue to die, Apex just killed Armstrong earlier this year.  The positive for people that like quality tools and are willing to pay for them is Europe still makes excellent tools, better in many respects (especially ergonomics) then any of the US made tools.  I have been buying Euro tools almost exclusively for 8 or 9 years.  Most I buy directly from Europe for about half what they cost bought here. Names like Stahlwille, Wera, Hazet, Facom, Wiha, NWS, Knipex, Beta, Felo, Gedore, PB Swiss et al make extremely high quality tools and can fill any gap not supported by US manufacturers.  If people avoid the Asian made tools and buy from what US manufacturers are left as well as the European manufacturers it keeps the door open for more US manufacturing.
Stanley Black and Decker bought the Craftsman brand from Sears a couple of years ago. They have been selling Craftsman at my local Ace hardware for some time now. Lowe's bringing in Craftsman to push out Kobalt is a good thing in my opinion. I've never been a fan of any Kobalt tool (or any house brand of Lowe's ie; Blue Hawk, Allen and Roth, Project Source, etc.).  From what I've been seeing at Lowe's is that Craftsman is promoting Made in the USA on their tool chests. My understanding is that Stanley Black and Decker want to bring back the Made in USA feeling with the Craftsman brand. Whether or not they'll do it with their mechanic tools remains to be seen.

Mike