End Table for the Boss
(11-28-2018, 11:26 AM)bandit571 Wrote: Rest of the apron mortises are done.....did a dry fit, both to lay out where clamps will go, and to measure for the shelf's rails...
Cool 

Once the rails were cut to rough lengths..
Rolleyes  

Will need a LOT of clean up
No  before the #78 and the #45 can even be used...
Upset   

Set these aside....set up and trimmed the top of the table square....

Hey...that saw IS Vintage....6" SKIL saw, Home Shop.  
Was getting a bit tired....with all the chopping, cutting, clamping, and cussing....stashed the top and the base aside, for now...
Winkgrin

May try later today to get something done....stay tuned
Thank You for sharing your work, process.  It is inspiring!
Ok..this might take a few posts....was a busy day, yesterday....first task was to transform those fat, wavy rails into something straight and all the same sizes...
Rolleyes 

Wanted these to be about 1-1/4" wide, would make resawing for thickness easier
Cool  I ripped the wose off one edge..reset the fence and finish at the required width

Then I could reset the vintage saw to get these to the 3/4" thickness I wanted ( couple were 5/4
No )

Was about a blade width fat, yet..moved the fence a hair more..
Cool

Must have been a good saw blade...hardly a mark on them..
Winkgrin 

In that other picture, that notched piece of Oak?   That is my "push stick"  as my thumb is a bit fatter than 3/4" ,   don't feel like getting that trimmed
No 

Ok, these will be the rails to house a plywood panel, to build a Bottom Shelf...and this was just the start of the day's tasks....

Stay tuned...
Winkgrin
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Was done with the old saw...hand tools the rest of the day
Winkgrin  So..moved the saw out of the way...place the blank for the table's top on top of the saw, AFTER the saw blade was lowered out of sight
Rolleyes  Then set the base assembly right-side up onto the saw...which is now the largest, flattest spot in the shop...and at a height I could see what I was doing
Cool  

Had a couple 1 x 4s,  that seemed to be the right length.  Used those as gauge blocks, to set the height off a floor for the bottom of the shelf...laid a rail on the blocks, slide around until the ends were about equal...and about a 1/2" for the tenon...made a mark.

Which showed me the angle of the shoulder, and where the shoulders were...then set that angle up on the mitre saw..

You were expecting something with a motor
Confused
Winkgrin Recheck to make sure the cuts were where they needed to be....then I could set this thing up..

Helped to make the rest of the lay out lines...seems to be around 5 degrees?
Cool  

Next up?  cheek cuts, and a bit of molding plane work...stay tuned
Winkgrin 

Preview...after all the tenons were cut....

With the Disston No. 4...chisel to fine tune as needed..

Tenons done..on to the next task
Cool 
Stay tuned
Ok, Stanley 45, was still set up to mill beads.  Made a jig to try and hold the aprons still, long enough to mill a bead
Rolleyes 

One bead was bad enough...fence on the plane wanted to get in the way ( I have the left "quirk" covered with it) but, I needed two beads
Rolleyes 

And the grain and the plane were not getting along too well
Upset   The cussing really got going while trying to do the longer rails...
Angry

As they wanted to flip out of the jig...wasn't any good ways to hold things still.....was not looking forward to the next steps....

Long rails were done last..so that is where I started with the Wards #78

Wanted a rebate deep enough for a 1/4" plywood panel to sit in, flush with the top of the rail.....tried c clamps to hold this thing still....fence on the 78 kept hitting them
Upset 
Finally, I cut a v notch in some plywood that the fence would miss...a screw about mid-way back, into the side ( only  the head of the screw will hit the part) and a screw at the end

Worked much better....grain wasn't liking this, either...more cussing ( think  Marine Boot Camp, Day 1
Upset ) until I get to the LAST rebate to do..
Uhoh 

Why didn't the other three act like this...Set all the parts over with the base unit...

Swept the messy floor, was too tired and sore to bend over with the dust pan...wandered upstairs and called it a day.   maybe tomorrow, I can get something done
Rolleyes 
Tasks would be to cobble up a gauge block, that I can lay out all 8 mortises with, so the rails are all the same level.   Maybe even dig/chop a few out...maybe one more dry fit, so I can size the plywood panel? 

Stay tuned
Winkgrin
I not only like this project, but the wood is really nice to.  What is the 5 photo rule?
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Seemed for a while, I could only post 5 photos at a time.....guess that has been changed?  

Spent 4 hours IN the shop, today.....working on photos to post....may have something ready, later....
Had a couple tasks to get done today....hmmm, 2 out of 3?   Not too bad...
Confused 
First, needed a way to gauge where the mortises will be for the rails....came up with this...

One edge is marked "outside"  for placing it to the outside edge of each leg...the is an "X" that goes to the bottom of the leg....IF everything is set right.

I can trace around the opening, to mark out for a mortise....then the "Usual Suspects" can take over..
Winkgrin 

Had an issue with the long chisel...wasn't enough room to get a straight swing...had to use the small chisel.  Most of the cussing so far, was trying to flip the base around to where I could work on the mortises...the clamps were either in the way, too heavy at the back...or just falling off
Upset 

Somehow managed to get these done...then the real fun began...rotate this mess 90 degrees, had four more mortises to do...
Rolleyes 

Got the two on the bottom done..time to rotate 180...catch a falling clamp...and do the last two mortises...
Diagonal clamp didn't hold worth a
Upset
Upset
Upset
Upset ...but, I do have a way to pull things square...
Cool

One of these goes into each and every corner...glue and screws...got half of the 8 blocks drilled ( mitre box to saw these)..

May have the counter-bores a tad too deep...I can add a couple washers to the screws.
Cool 
Tomorrow?   Need to tear this mess completely down...sand everything smooth.   May run a cove bit around...maybe.  Label everything as to what goes where...clear a LARGE work area out... and get ready for a Saturday morning Glue-up.....could use a few extra hands....going to be a mean one, single-handed...

Stay tuned....the 3rd task? I was going to size the plywood panel....will wait until the clamps come back off...

Attached Files Image(s)

Measured for the plywood panel for the shelf....panel I have is 2" too short...so, I made a middle rail.   I'll make two plywood panels and support them in the middle ( no more saggy shelf?)  got a 1 x 4..cut to about the right length...Wards #78 to mill two rebates...

Need to drill a counter-bore about midway along each rail, and a pilot hole.   Glue and screws to install...then a walnut plug to cover the two screw holes...

Yeah, yeah, yeah....but, until I get a cove cutter of the right size for the Stanley 45...this will have to do.  I can also adjust the bit's height with that Allen wrench through the base..
Coves?
Confused  Needed two, per leg...

Then the parts were all sanded smooth...Had one issue...one tenon snapped off IN the mortise.
Upset ..left a bit on the end of the apron...
Uhoh  

Glued it up, anyway...same with the second end assembly..minus the busted tenon..
Rolleyes 

Decided to do this glue up in stages...ends were glued up, will let them sit until tomorrow..then the real fun can happen..tried one last dry fit..
Cool 

Pilot holes to attach the mid rail to the other two rails...

I don't like it when screws snap off at the head...Dry fit was more to preset the long pipe clamps to save fumbling around.  One or two will need a pair of visegrips to keep the pipe from sliding backwards.   Corner blocks needed set up...washers and screws installed...and made sure the screw won't go all the way through ...bad form when the tip of a screw shows though the aprons/ rails...hard to sand away, too..

Cleared and swept up a large work area ( by Dungeon Shop standards
Winkgrin ) so I'd have plenty of elbow room to work in..

Stay tuned....you might even be able to hear all the cussing from your place
Winkgrin
I enjoy these build threads! Your methods are fairly typical for blended construction, and your shop tools look a lot like my father's (he was a carpenter through mostbof his work life, after WWII), died in 2004 at age 81). I see similar Craftsmen tools, and one of my favorites: his Wards 78, which I still use regularly. I admire the speed at which you attack projects!

Newbies to our hobby and trade can take a lesson from your builds in adaptability is using what is at hand, instead of chasing down the latest whizbang tool.

Finally, one of the very most important aspects of your builds, is to construct to your (or family's needs), with the projects appreciated and used. There will always be someone who can better your build and there are more you will better. Only question is, where do you get your energy?
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
This project is looking . . .. delicate, compared to your others. Very nice. Do enjoy following your builds, and thanks for sharing. 

BTW, I second Tony's thoughts. Add, functional need; well, an elaboration. I can't imagine doing something having no, or minimal, function. I even drag my heels on duplication. 

Ps. I gave up hoping Bandit (Steve?) will slow down. I just wait to read updates until after taking my heart meds. 
Big Grin