Miter practice
Today was a snow day of sorts for me.  And I've gotten word that the campus will be closed to all but essential personnel on Monday so I'll get a bit more shop time when I'm not fighting with email and muting Skype in the home office.

Anywho, recently picked up a LN9 Iron Miter plane here on the S&S from TheCabinetmaker and it is a nice one. I know the #51 from LN and the similar from LV have skew blades and all but I really like the looks of the old Stanley #9 and LN #9. Since it is unlikely I'd ever get my hands on a Stanley #9 this is the next best thing.

It has been a LONG time since I've had any shop time for many reasons.  So today's the day I go play in the shop.  What to make?  What would be a decent test of hand skills and good practice?  Why a picture frame.  Because I didn't want this to feel like anything I'd be sad about if it went all catywompus, pine is as good as anything.

Step 1 is to make some rabbets for the glass, picture, matte, backer, etc.  Easy peasy work with a moving fillister plane.  Didn't go get the camera for this but trust me, you've seen pictures of moving fillister planes at work before.  Did this on both edges, scribed some lines and then discovered I'm way out of practice sawing to a line.  So make a third one just in case. No big whoop, just a little extra work with a scrub plane to true a new edge on the board.

Made a quick miter box to get me in close to 45 degrees. Now the fun part, making four frame parts and playing with the LN #9!  Quick lick on the stones and hone and it is ready to go.

Little bit of fiddling with the fence on the shooting board to get it to 45*, a tap here, a tap there with the hammer and all done.

Rambling on, glue up, have lunch then add splines.  I've been using a single saw kerf filled with a compatible color veneer for a while in frames and small boxes and it works pretty well.  Went with splines parallel to the frame face and back but of different lengths.  Just because.

That all went well but then I got the bright idea to fiddle with coloring pine.  It's been a while for that too!  Well it went off the rails and tomorrow I'll sand it back and call it "rustic".  The whole point of this was to practice the miters and I should have stopped there but the pine was so white. It was just asking for it!

Here it is resting peacefully in the clamp, should have left it alone. Now I remember why coloring pine is such a pain sometimes.

Perhaps tomorrow if I have time I'll dig deeper and pull out a more suitable wood to experiment with.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin

Cool  beans on the back to making a project Rob.

But....you ran out of paint for that pine?
Raised  
Winkgrin
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(11-25-2018, 11:29 PM)Stwood_ Wrote:
Cool  beans on the back to making a project Rob.

But....you ran out of paint for that pine?
Raised  
Winkgrin

Paint would probably solve my problems. Meh.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin