Great M2 tools at a great price
and I got a few of them and they are great and sharp right out of the box.

I found out about them on Ebay where they  had OBO on their tools along with a price and they helped me greatly.

I got the 1 1/2" skew,  1 1/2" left handed scrapper, and the 1/2" scrapper with is a great all around tool that can be modified anyway you want.

I would LOVE to try to get the Cryo tools and see how they work and how long the edges last and if they are as good as the M2 then they have to be good.

http://www.thewoodturningstore.com/hand-...1&brand=48

Try it and you will be pleased I am sure.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Bought a Henry Taylor KRYO 1/2” years ago and think my original HT M2 HSS, much better. So would not pay more Hurricane CRYO tool. Think can buy Henry Taylor tools for about same price. Didn’t realize prices have gone up so much, didn’t pay that for my skew.

https://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merchan...-tayl-kryo

If want exotic steel go with Doug Thompson tools.

If looking for a chuck Hurricane on par with more expensive family name chucks, but their turning tool just little better than BB from Penn State Industries!
Bill
The cryo tools are a good bang for your buck. I bought the scraper set, sq and round, and ground the square one as a radius.

I didn’t want to experiment with expensive tools, I mostly use Crown PM, but didn’t want to buy cheapies either.
Don
Today I got the 1 1/2" round nose scrapper and but not the cryo for $37 with shipping and I am quite sure I will be as happy with that is the other 4.

I think they are a great tool for a whatever price is paid like the Sorby for $165 that is the same size.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

(11-26-2018, 03:39 PM)Wildwood Wrote: Bought a Henry Taylor KRYO 1/2” years ago and think my original HT M2 HSS, much better.  So would not pay more Hurricane CRYO tool.  Think can buy Henry Taylor tools for about same price. Didn’t realize prices have gone up so much, didn’t pay that for my skew.

https://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merchan...-tayl-kryo

If want exotic steel go with Doug Thompson tools.

If looking for a chuck Hurricane on par with more expensive family name chucks, but their turning tool just little better than BB from Penn State Industries!

IF I can ever afford it getting tools for me I will go with D-Way tools and talked with Dave and I am sold on his tools

I do have one of Doug Thompsons tools and I really do not like powdered metal anymore and will shy away from them.

What is the difference between Cryo tools and Powdered Metal tools?

(11-26-2018, 07:49 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: IF I can ever afford it getting tools for me I will go with D-Way tools and talked with Dave and I am sold on his tools

I do have one of Doug Thompsons tools and I really do not like powdered metal anymore and will shy away from them.

What is the difference between Cryo tools and Powdered Metal tools?

Cryo is a treatment applied after tempering where the metal is chilled to -180 deg F or lower.  (M2 is typically triple-tempered.) It helps to complete any transformation of the crystal structure and makes the metal more stable.  Basically, it helps carbides in the steel cluster together which makes an edge tougher. Powdered metal is sintered or compacted, and really doesn't require the same kind of cryo treatment because the grains in a PM steel are already very small due to the nature of the powder.  That said, Doug Thompson does cryo treat his PM tools between the first and second temper.  Heat treating of some of the more exotic tool steels (PM included) can be very tricky and often requires several steps to get the right properties.

I think Doug Thompson's tools are the bee's knees. I much prefer them over other brands.  Frankly, I find they hold an edge far longer than any cryo-treated conventional tool steel turning tools I own.  Why do you not like them?
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(11-26-2018, 02:55 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: and I got a few of them and they are great and sharp right out of the box.

I found out about them on Ebay where they  had OBO on their tools along with a price and they helped me greatly.

I got the 1 1/2" skew,  1 1/2" left handed scrapper, and the 1/2" scrapper with is a great all around tool that can be modified anyway you want.

I would LOVE to try to get the Cryo tools and see how they work and how long the edges last and if they are as good as the M2 then they have to be good.

http://www.thewoodturningstore.com/hand-...1&brand=48

Try it and you will be pleased I am sure.

The tools you link to are High Speed Steel (HSS), which may or may not be M2.  The Woodturning Store doesn't say where they source their tools, but I suspect it's from China, given they say they are manufactured in one of the largest tool factories in the world.  Their cryo tools come from Crown Tools in the UK and they are advertised as M2 steel.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
FYI

It's my understanding that Hurricane tools come from the Chinese factory as Bodger and Benjamins' Best.

Try the following test, take a small triangle file and note that it skips, not cuts as you run it along the tool near the tip.
Then go up the tool towards the handle. I'm certain you will find that at some point before the end of the flute, the file cuts instead of skips

D-Way, Thompson and BoxMaster all skip, all the way up the tool, even past the flute.

As a user, the biggest difference between D-Way and Thompson can be seen by looking at the flute. Dave (D-Way) hones and polishes the flute.
Doug (Thompson) does not. In fact you can often see the machine marks on the inside of Dougs flutes.

Why this makes a difference is you need to hone the tool to get a "perfect" edge to get a cleaner cut. So I have to spend more time honeing away the machine marks on Doug's tools then I do with Dave's.

When Jimmie (BoxMaster) buys D-Way at the end of the year, he will continue to produce tools in the same way Dave has (Jimmie and Dave are long time friends)
Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that's more accident then design.
OK I guess I will narrow it down to what I meant to say....

They are great tools for someone that needs a good one without paying $150 for a Sorby scrapper or bowl gouge of which I have also.

The D-Way tools M42 are what I personally would like to have when I get the funds and only use them for myself.

Geesh. 
Laugh
Laugh

(11-27-2018, 01:15 PM)AHill Wrote: Cryo is a treatment applied after tempering where the metal is chilled to -180 deg F or lower.  (M2 is typically triple-tempered.)  It helps to complete any transformation of the crystal structure and makes the metal more stable.  Basically, it helps carbides in the steel cluster together which makes an edge tougher.  Powdered metal is sintered or compacted, and really doesn't require the same kind of cryo treatment because the grains in a PM steel are already very small due to the nature of the powder.  That said, Doug Thompson does cryo treat his PM tools between the first and second temper.  Heat treating of some of the more exotic tool steels (PM included) can be very tricky and often requires several steps to get the right properties.

I think Doug Thompson's tools are the bee's knees. I much prefer them over other brands.  Frankly, I find they hold an edge far longer than any cryo-treated conventional tool steel turning tools I own.  Why do you not like them?

To me personally I just do not see any difference between PM and M2 while I am using both.  That is why I would love to try the M42 and not let those I teach use them.