bowl scrapers
Got this idea several years ago from Paul Sellers and I've been making them from hardwood scraps.  Mostly cherry and walnut because they look good.  One of these days I'm going to need to make a new template as my posterboard one is getting a bit ragged.

Two new scrapers from some scrap walnut.  Quick and easy all hand tool project but you have to be a little careful drilling the hole with a brace and bit.  Do it first with the uncut blank clamped across the sides in a vice.  You will be drilling down into the vice.  The side pressure and extra material makes it less likely to split the blank (DAMHIKT).  When the snail pops through, flip and finish for a clean hole.  A little quick saw to the general shape with whatever saw tickles your fancy and then it is mostly spokeshave work.  If you need to use a rasp, go easy because that just makes more work later getting out the rasp marks.  A card scraper does the trick too.  After p180 and p220 I switch to wet sanding with p320 and p400 followed by a slathering of beeswax+mineral oil.  Ready to go.  About 1-1/2 hours to make two.

Now to go back and scrape off yesterday's disaster finishing experiment on the pine.  At least enough to just shoot it with black paint. A little paint will make it what it ain't!
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Looking great! It was seeing Paul Sellers make one of those in a demo that convinced me that I could make a wooden spoon. A few hundred spoons later, and I"m still at it.

That walnut came out especially nice. I think it's my favorite wood to use for carving woodenware.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop