Safety PSA
Went over to visit a friend yesterday who used to own a millwork shop (been retired about a year - shop closed). As we were sitting in his office he pulled out his phone and showed me a picture a former employee had sent him after a hospital emergency room visit (I know him though my friend). This guy had many years of experience operating all kinds of woodworking power equipment and was working in another shop. Last week his right hand hit the spinning blade (he's right-handed) and it was a mess. He did not lose any digits but will need multiple surgeries. Don't know if he will regain all function or not.

Be careful out there!

Doug
SS PCS driver
10-4 on being careful. Pay attention!
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

yeah, I always tell myself it can happen to anyone.  I always think about that when I go into the shop.

I know someone who lost an index finger and now says he wishes he didn't have it reattached.  That wasn't his first run-in getting cut up by a woodworking tool either.  Finger was a table saw, I think the other incident was with a shaper. I had to duck from shrapnel from a shaper, scared the heck out of me.  The guy who was using the shaper gave up on his project, I think. Luckily nobody was injured that time.
(11-27-2018, 12:58 AM)Tapper Wrote: Went over to visit a friend yesterday who used to own a millwork shop (been retired about a year - shop closed). As we were sitting in his office he pulled out his phone and showed me a picture a former employee had sent him after a hospital emergency room visit (I know him though my friend). This guy had many years of experience operating all kinds of woodworking power equipment and was working in another shop. Last week his right hand hit the spinning blade (he's right-handed) and it was a mess. He did not lose any digits but will need multiple surgeries. Don't know if he will regain all function or not.

Be careful out there!

Doug
SS PCS driver

Table saw with no guard?

John
I don't think you even have to ask if there was a guard.
I have 3 friends that have been bit.

One was a Skill saw, his finger was reattached after being pulled through the bottom plate. He has a non-functional "franken finger".
One was a tablesaw and thumb, you wouldn't know it happened without him telling you. Ugly nail and no feeling in pad of his thumb.
One was a SCMS, he lost a finger at the second knuckle. No other permanent damage.

All 3 were doing something stupid when the accident happened.

The tablesaw incident is a contractor buddy, I had to finish the railing spindles for him that evening so his guys could install them the next day.
I was puckered right up while ripping those boards. In hindsight, I probably shouldn't have done it.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

Thanks Doug. A timely reminder, I'm headed to the shop.

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
(11-27-2018, 12:58 AM)Tapper Wrote: Went over to visit a friend yesterday who used to own a millwork shop (been retired about a year - shop closed). As we were sitting in his office he pulled out his phone and showed me a picture a former employee had sent him after a hospital emergency room visit (I know him though my friend). This guy had many years of experience operating all kinds of woodworking power equipment and was working in another shop. Last week his right hand hit the spinning blade (he's right-handed) and it was a mess. He did not lose any digits but will need multiple surgeries. Don't know if he will regain all function or not.

Be careful out there!

Doug
SS PCS driver

I considered posting my own safety PSA last week when I slipped with a chisel "just removing this little piece of wood while my left hand was reaching around, knew I shouldn't but did anyway" and the chisel launched into my wrist (the underside) when the wood chipped out. I sliced a ~2" laceration all the way through the skin - could see the tendons and artery. (I'll spare the pix!)

Just got the 10 stitches removed this morning (10 external, 5 subcutaneous to hold it all back together)

Insanely lucky that I didn't hit any tendons, nerves or artery. Could have been MUCH worse!

all these years with power tools and no injury.. then stupid (me) with a chisel slices me open.
To John and Eric - I don't know whether there was a guard in use or not; was not told and didn't ask. The message was just a reminder. Accidents in the shop can happen at any time from a myriad of different tools in that moment of inattention.

Mound, glad you dodged the more serious potential injury with that chisel! I had a nasty encounter with a razor knife many years ago - trip to the doc's office and several stitches. Ran right up my left palm. Also fortunate that nothing serious was damaged.

Again, be careful out there!

Doug