Which router bit for flattening slabs?
I've been using a 3/4" straight bit for flattening the smaller slabs I've been doing so far, but it's time to move up in size.
I'm using a PC 2 1/4hp router. It's the largest in my current arsenal, and I'd rather not buy yet another quite yet, so this may be a limiting factor, but if I must....

So, which router bit have you folks been using to flatten your slabs, preferably in as few passes as possible and still get good results and ready for sanding?

Thanks in advance.
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
(11-27-2018, 03:41 PM)Gregory of Sherwood Forest Wrote: I've been using a 3/4" straight bit for flattening the smaller slabs I've been doing so far, but it's time to move up in size.
I'm using a PC 2 1/4hp router. It's the largest in my current arsenal, and I'd rather not buy yet another quite yet, so this may be a limiting factor, but if I must....

So, which router bit have you folks been using to flatten your slabs, preferably in as few passes as possible and still get good results and ready for sanding?

Thanks in advance.

I use the MLCS bit and accept that I will have to sand when I'm done. I'd sand anyway and the time savings is worth it.

Google bottom cleaning bits. I use a 2" bit, as anything bigger really requires a 3+ HP router (which I don't have). 2" is still pretty large and right at the edge of what I'm comfortable with in a non-table router.
(11-27-2018, 03:41 PM)Gregory of Sherwood Forest Wrote: I've been using a 3/4" straight bit for flattening the smaller slabs I've been doing so far, but it's time to move up in size.

Thanks in advance.

The current thinking seems to lean toward using insert spoil board bits like Amana makes.

Thanks in advance.

I have one of these, or maybe just a bit smaller :

Scary bit

I think I used it once as a way for flattening some boards and it was quite the operation.  If I can find it, do you want to try it?
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Thanks Huxleywood, that's the bit I was thinking of, but couldn't recall the name. I think I'll be investing in one. I can use the $$ I saved on that $207 DW735 shelix cutter deal!

Thanks Rob, but I'll pass on that. If you weren't confident using it, I probably wouldn't be either.
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
I've used an 1 1/4 diameter mortice bit for my workbench top, worked great.

Good thing, it was all I had......

Ed

Attached Files Image(s)

Both Infinity & Whiteside make a bit for flattening slabs. I read a review of these not too long ago that had both of them doing quite well, but I've never used either one...

Two pennies worth...
Smirk
Dave
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
(11-27-2018, 08:32 PM)EdL Wrote: I've used an 1 1/4 diameter mortice bit for my workbench top, worked great.

Good thing, it was all I had......

Ed

Ayup. Mine is whiteside brand, used for flushing face frames to ply box sides.
I bought a lipping base from Pat Warner for router use and he recommended the bit.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(11-27-2018, 05:15 PM)Gregory of Sherwood Forest Wrote: Thanks Huxleywood, that's the bit I was thinking of, but couldn't recall the name. I think I'll be investing in one. I can use the $$ I saved on that $207 DW735 shelix cutter deal!

Thanks Rob, but I'll pass on that. If you weren't confident using it, I probably wouldn't be either.

Oh, it worked, but because it is 2-1/2" across, I had to turn down speed and take shallow cuts.  Probably could have done it just as quickly with a 3/4" and a deeper cut.

More a test of the clamping method for the small piece than anything else.
Smile
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
[Image: main_rc-2250.jpg]Saw this , in this .

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.