Cold Shop and Hand Tools
Hi All, I have a small space in my garage that I currently work in and it is not heated.  We moved fairly recently and we have not been able to run enough power to the garage to have a heater.  It gets cold in Michigan, and I wanted to move my hand tools to the garage instead of the basement because it is a bother to bring them in and out each time you want to do something.  Is it bad for the tools to let them get cold and then warm up as the temps rise and fall?  If I wrap them in blankets will that help?  Advise and thoughts please.  I have always been hesitant to allow them to get really cold and then warm up.  We do have a plan to get heat to the garage, hopefully sooner than later. Thanks.
(11-28-2018, 07:39 AM)cjbyrne7 Wrote: Hi All, I have a small space in my garage that I currently work in and it is not heated.  We moved fairly recently and we have not been able to run enough power to the garage to have a heater.  It gets cold in Michigan, and I wanted to move my hand tools to the garage instead of the basement because it is a bother to bring them in and out each time you want to do something.  Is it bad for the tools to let them get cold and then warm up as the temps rise and fall?  If I wrap them in blankets will that help?  Advise and thoughts please.  I have always been hesitant to allow them to get really cold and then warm up.  We do have a plan to get heat to the garage, hopefully sooner than later. Thanks.

My shop gets cold in the winter, too.  Minnesota is like that.  One time this fall we had a prolonged cold snap followed by a sudden rise in temps above freezing with relatively high humidity.  Every tool in the shop thought it was a good idea to develop a thick coat of rust.  

My guess is gradual warming is good, but bring them in early, if you can.
The problem isn't the heating and cooling, it's the condensation that can develop on the metal tools. If you guard them from that by using a good rust preventative, you should be OK.  My shop is also a garage which is heated only when I'm in there, so it undergoes multiple cycles of heating and cooling. I use Camilla oil (SP?) on all my tools and so far have not seen any rust after more than 10 years. There are other rust preventatives out there, you just need to use one that won't interfere with your intended finishes. You also have to remember to reapply after using the tool. I keep a rag which I spray with the oil and wipe down each tool after use. A pain, sometimes but much faster that dealing with rust.

Good Luck!
Jim

Demonstrating every day that enthusiasm cannot overcome a lack of talent!
(11-28-2018, 07:39 AM)cjbyrne7 Wrote: Hi All, I have a small space in my garage that I currently work in and it is not heated.  We moved fairly recently and we have not been able to run enough power to the garage to have a heater.  It gets cold in Michigan, and I wanted to move my hand tools to the garage instead of the basement because it is a bother to bring them in and out each time you want to do something.  Is it bad for the tools to let them get cold and then warm up as the temps rise and fall?  If I wrap them in blankets will that help?  Advise and thoughts please.  I have always been hesitant to allow them to get really cold and then warm up.  We do have a plan to get heat to the garage, hopefully sooner than later. Thanks.

Best thing I did was bring my tools in the basement and leave them there.

If it's just hand tools and a bench it doesn't take all that much room up, a 15'X10' space in the basement will more than suffice, at least it has for me. 

Now no more freezing temps which makes woodworking so much more enjoyable, though when you cut yourself out in 0* it does seem to coagulate quicker so there is a down side to moving to warmer atmospheres.
Bruce.
Used to work in a Pole Barn shop   LONG time ago.    Would wear those thin Nitrile Gloves, underneath a pair of the brown Jersey gloves.....Kerosun Heater 5' away did not help very much, either...
No
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
I understand the rust concern, but another concern I had was the expansion and contraction of the metals.  Is that something I should be concerned about?
(11-28-2018, 11:50 AM)cjbyrne7 Wrote: I understand the rust concern, but another concern I had was the expansion and contraction of the metals.  Is that something I should be concerned about?

Welcome to the Cheap Shooters @cjbyrne7. We all cope with chisels suddenly shattering from cold snaps following pineapple expresses .... 
Big Grin
Cool  Just don't lean them on the heating elements. 

Actually, the project wood will be far more squirrely than you can tolerate when shuffling between the differing environments. Wood needs a few weeks to acclimate when moved into its final home, before preparation. Wood is what you should worry about.  

I empathize with your situation. It took me years to isolate a new 30 amp service to my garage. I am still working on 220. But, before that happens I still need to clear out the last of 24 years (really, 40) of warehousing.

A light application of transmission fluid after using them will stop the rust..Moisture can't get to the metal easily...Synthetic engine oil works well also.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

I use a goldenrod in my toolbox... a lot of people use them for gun cabinets. The problem is when the air is warm and moist (maybe in the afternoon) and your cold tools provide a place for moisture to condensate. The goldenrod keeps the tool chest scientifically unable to allow condensation by making the relative humidity less than the natural environment. At least that's my understanding.