Wood identification help
We are working on a jobsite where the general contractor is gutting the entire suite in a 3 story commercial building.  The superintendent knows I do wood working and called me and told me to come help myself to the raised paneling, fluted casings, chair rail moldings, door casing, shelving and baseboard trim before they start tearing everything out and throwing it into dumpsters.  2 hours later I ended up with a truck bed full of this stuff but I'm not sure what type of wood it is.

I wet this piece down with water and took some pictures.  I also sanded the surface to see if stain was applied to the back side of the trim board and there wasn't any on there so this is the natural color.

Any help is appreciated.

My guess:  Mahogany.

See:  https://www.google.com/search?biw=1341&b...z9XnW7BEMs
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(11-28-2018, 04:32 PM)Cooler Wrote: My guess:  Mahogany.

See:  https://www.google.com/search?biw=1341&b...z9XnW7BEMs

+1
The only Mahogany I've worked with was African Mahogany and it reminded me of that type of wood.
(11-28-2018, 04:42 PM)FrankAtl Wrote: +1

As long as you're counting the Khaya sp. as mahogany, I'll go.  But, like American cedars, which ain't, real mahogany it ain't. 

https://www.wood-database.com/african-mahogany/
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
nice lookin lumber! how old is the building? looks like the african mahogany in the pic on wood datat base only with a finish on it. quite like this:

Attached Files Image(s)

(11-28-2018, 05:10 PM)tomsteve Wrote: nice lookin lumber! how old is the building? looks like the african mahogany in the pic on wood datat base only with a finish on it. quite like this:

The building is 30 years old but the previous tenant did the remodel about 6-7 years ago.

This was the largest piece I acquired...it was at their front entry desk.  10' long and 40" tall. 
Smile

(11-28-2018, 05:37 PM)Duane N Wrote: The building is 30 years old but the previous tenant did the remodel about 6-7 years ago.

This was the largest piece I acquired...it was at their front entry desk.  10' long and 40" tall. 
Smile

Sapele gets my vote.
"All that I do or say is all that I ever will be"

Billy Joe Shaver, Old Five and Dimers Like Me
You might go on line and take a look at Iroko also known as African Teak. Iroko varies in color but yours has a grain and color similar to some I have in my shop. It's a dense, heavy wood that has an oily feel to it. Just a thought.
Could be Iroko, could be African Mahogany, could be Sapele...of the three I'd probably guess Mahogany. 

Sapele is generally browner, and Iroko doesn't have the same ribbon figure.