LOML wants a propane fireplace in new house
(11-30-2018, 08:07 AM)WxMan Wrote: Like Fred, we have two propane-fueled units:  one in the family room on the main level and one in the basement.

Ours are Heatilator brand units.  I think the rated heat output is about 6-7K BTU.  They’re 50% efficient AT BEST, so the input is about 15K BTUs of propane per hour.  They have automatic fans that are controlled by an internal thermistor switch.

These units were installed with the house construction in 2004.  We’ve been in the house since 2014.

I like fireplaces; I don’t like these fireplaces.

I have had to put about $1200 into maintenance of these units since we moved in, including rebuilds and parts.  They’re running OK now, but I’ve paid close attention to what the service guy did the last couple of times I had him out to work on them.  I’m becoming conversant with how they work, and recently had to replace the fan speed controller and thermal switch on the family room unit.  I was successful getting inexpensive aftermarket parts from Amazon and then installing them.  That saved me a $200 service call.

We’ve had to use the two fireplaces as an emergency heat source during power outages; they are not reasonable for that use.  Last year, I had the local fireplace guy quote me replacements in order to get better units.  Higher output units are available, but very expensive.  It was going to be about $9K installed.  Subsequent to that our heat pump bit the big one and I had the whole thing replaced with a unit that can be pushed by a backup power generator.  Getting a new 22KW generator in a couple weeks, and so now I have a better emergency plan.

If I was building new, I don’t know which way I’d go.  If I want heat from the fireplace, then it would be wood-fired.  If I want the look and convenience, but don’t care about heat, then propane is the way to go.  If I was planning for heat when the power is out, I wouldn’t look to a fireplace for that solution.

Just my $.02.

This is interesting to me, because you can go from wood to propane to electric if you want the look and feel of a flame without the heat. 

Obviously it's of no use in a power outage, but electric fireplaces aren't bad for minimizing the amount of heat (down to nothing) while having something approximating the look of a fire.

I used to have a Dimplex insert in my old house and I used it a lot. There are newer Puraflame units that look significantly better. Two heat settings plus light only.

I think a lot of the "propane fireplace as heater" issues must be related to insulation, room size, orientation, direction, and so on. My father has a good unit in a moderately small room (maybe 300 square feet) and it gets uncomfortably warm with the fireplace on for any length of time. That room is all brick, though it is a corner of the house. My mother's is in a "great hall" type of room that's huge, and you'd need to be right in front of the fireplace to get any real heat in an emergency situation.

Wood-burning fireplaces are only useful for heat near the fire itself and they cause substantial heat loss in the rest of the house. In an emergency, that's probably fine.
I thought about this after consecutive years of power outages for 10 and 15 days, respectively; both times I froze my arse off.... Looked into the costs, and efficacy, and determined it was better to invest in a generator that would keep the regular furnaces going (along with the fridge!); if I want a fire, throw some logs in there....
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
The thing with WT's original post is that this is (apparently) new construction to go with that new shop building.

New construction is about the most cost-efficient time to get the best solution you can.  I have no idea what factors WT is taking into account, but if I was building new, I wouldn't look to a fireplace for backup heat.  A decent-sized generator provides so much more capability for other items like backup power for a water well, refrigeration, lights, etc.
One other thing:  If choosing a propane fireplace for backup heat, make sure it can be started if there's no electricity power to it.  This can be done with standing pilot lights, but perhaps not with electronic ignition sources.  Check that piece out.
Thanks for the information guys. LOML may decide that "pretty" is enough and we'll get a generator big enough to do heat and fridge.

We are at the blueprint stage for the house so lines are easy to move
Wink
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Don't get stuck on a fireplace. There are gas fired units that sort of replicate the old free standing wood/coal heaters. Vermont castings is one manufacturer of nice looking quality units. Many have a flip up top that allows you to set a saucepan or tea kettle on the top to cook, at least to a limited extent. They also tend to heat a space more effectively, particularly with no power for the fan.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

(11-29-2018, 04:23 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: Anyone know much about them?  Net searches show prices from Harbor Freight to ridiculous.

Looking for one that will serve as backup heat for house -- found some that were 22k BTU.

Any experience?  Good sources for info?
Confused
Confused
Confused

We enjoy ours.  Used for aesthetics.  

Mx-free for 15 yrs.

YES to remote!!

Ours has two settings for flame.  If it's set for FRONT & REAR flame, it will blow us out of the room in an hour.  If you turn the fan on as well, you'll be gone in five minutes!

If you have a BIG room with high ceilings, this probably won't be an issue.

98% of the time, it's set for just the front flame.......not as enticing as both flames, but it serves the purpose.

Just make sure you have a LICENSED pro do the installation.  Our municipality requires pulling a permit.  City would probably never know you didn't get one; but if a smart potential buyer asks if you pulled a permit, what would you say?
We have two - one in family room and one in living room. We love them. Although I like a real wood fire, propane is much easier