Using Trans Tint Dyes
May have been asked before but I could not find it so will ask again sorry. I want to use trans tint dyes to color some maple wood (small items) My question is what is the ratio mix to get the most vibrant color from the dye using warm water?? I will be mixing in 4 ounce glass bottles. I am using the liquid dyes. I will be using bright colors such as yellow, green, blue, purple and red and black. Thanks in advance.
John T.
(11-30-2018, 01:27 AM)JTTHECLOCKMAN Wrote: May have been asked before but I could not find it so will ask again sorry. I want to use trans tint dyes to color some maple wood (small items) My question is what is the ratio mix to get the most vibrant color from the dye using warm water?? I will be mixing in 4 ounce glass bottles. I am using the liquid dyes. I will be using bright colors such as yellow, green, blue, purple and red and black. Thanks in advance.

You've asked a question that has no answer; it all depends on the wood and how you want to apply the dye.  I would start with the stock ratio of 2 oz / half gallon of water; roughly 3%, and adjust from there based on test results.  

John
Start adding drops and keep track of the number of drops.
If it's too light, add a few more drops.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(11-30-2018, 01:27 AM)JTTHECLOCKMAN Wrote: May have been asked before but I could not find it so will ask again sorry. I want to use trans tint dyes to color some maple wood (small items) My question is what is the ratio mix to get the most vibrant color from the dye using warm water?? I will be mixing in 4 ounce glass bottles. I am using the liquid dyes. I will be using bright colors such as yellow, green, blue, purple and red and black. Thanks in advance.

You probably know this but the color will look dull after dye is dry but the finish will bring it back to life. Suggest doing some test pieces and adding your final finish to get an idea of how things will look.

You can let the dye dry and add another coat of dye and repeat until it is what you want.   Depending on what type of finish you use you may want to spray a seal coat of shellac to prevent bleeding.   Roly
Thanks everyone for the replys.
John T.