Is a Power Planer really a power Scraper ?
Philosophers:

Sorry if this has been treated before, but I keep thinking the rotary blades on power planers and jointers are really hitting the work at angles more like scraping than planing.

I hardly ever use my power Jointer, but I recalled the blade bevel honing was supposed to be in the 37.5-45 degree range, and it hits the work "bevel down" at what would seem to me to be about 90 degrees "bedding angle".   So I think it's a scraper.

Typical power planed boards, I would say, avoid tearout to an impressive degree, but they don't have the "sheen" that you get with low angle planing.

Your thoughts ?

Chris
Chris
Seems like more of a question for the general board than here where our tools burn cholesterol instead of electrons.
(11-30-2018, 12:30 PM)C. in Indy Wrote: Philosophers:

Sorry if this has been treated before, but I keep thinking the rotary blades on power planers and jointers are really hitting the work at angles more like scraping than planing.

I hardly ever use my power Jointer, but I recalled the blade bevel honing was supposed to be in the 37.5-45 degree range, and it hits the work "bevel down" at what would seem to me to be about 90 degrees "bedding angle".   So I think it's a scraper.

Typical power planed boards, I would say, avoid tearout to an impressive degree, but they don't have the "sheen" that you get with low angle planing.

Your thoughts ?
See Hoadley.  However, you ARE feeding into the rotating blades, so "bedding angle" needs to take that into account.  I see the action as similar to almost all carving movements - enter steep to cut and lower to run.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
You still need to pay attention to grain direction.  I have a good planer, but it will definitely produce tear out against the grain.
(12-01-2018, 11:02 PM)Bruce Haugen Wrote: You still need to pay attention to grain direction.  I have a good planer, but it will definitely produce tear out against the grain.

and even with paying attention to grain direction there can be tearout- especially on figured wood.
Wink 
(12-02-2018, 08:22 AM)tomsteve Wrote: and even with paying attention to grain direction there can be tearout- especially on figured wood.

I have a nice Grizzly parallelogram jointer that I hardly use anymore. Too often I hear that popping sound that means tear out. Do most of my jointing with hand planes after I get it close with a Freud Glue line blade on the table saw.

Sorry, but there's no "blended tool work" section on this forum. 
Laugh
Wouldn’t a better indication be the chips produced by the device?

I’d think scraping would product finer shavings than I get with my powered jointer and planet.
I would say that it is a cutting action, not a scraping action.

The rotating blades create short shavings and will never produce the sheen that a hand plane can, but then I never heard anyone claim a finish ready surface from a tailed planer/jointer.
Its definitely more of a cutting action with a helical cutterhead.  The inserts are bedded at an angle even.
---------------------------------------------------
When something has to be done, no one knows how to do it.  When they "pay" you to do it, they become "experts".
(12-02-2018, 10:14 PM)HomerLee Wrote: I have a nice Grizzly parallelogram jointer that I hardly use anymore. Too often I hear that popping sound that means tear out. Do most of my jointing with hand planes after I get it close with a Freud Glue line blade on the table saw.

Sorry, but there's no "blended tool work" section on this forum. 
Laugh

I think almost all of us are "blended tool" workers....
Skip