bandsaw blade took a bite out of me
Opened a box with a new bandsaw blade, cut the quick ties  and the thing slipped away from me. Uncoiled and landed right above my glove and slid about 5 inches up my arm to my jacket. Left 3 nicely bleeding scratches. If I leave out the swear words I didn't say a thing about it. Just went to the house for bandages and a lecture from my wife about being more careful.
Yep, they're easy to lose a fight with!
at least it appears to be sharp.
"Oh. Um, l-- look, i-- i-- if we built this large wooden badger" ~ Sir Bedevere
I always keep one gloved hand wrapped around the blade while undoing the ties. I've been gotten before, handling 1-1/4"x 13'-2" bandmill blades.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Hell, I wear gloves on both hands and safety glasses! I had a resaw king get away from me once trying to fold it. It didn't get me but I was dancing around the shop trying to stay away from it till it stopped bouncing around!
(11-30-2018, 04:02 PM)gear jammer Wrote: Opened a box with a new bandsaw blade, cut the quick ties  and the thing slipped away from me. Uncoiled and landed right above my glove and slid about 5 inches up my arm to my jacket. Left 3 nicely bleeding scratches. If I leave out the swear words I didn't say a thing about it. Just went to the house for bandages and a lecture from my wife about being more careful.

Ouch! Those things are a PITA. I like to wear long sleeves, gloves, and a face shield until I get a new blade uncoiled. And do something nice for somebody first so you have some karma on your side.
One instructor I took a class with years ago would carefully take off the ties and then throw the coiled blade on the floor a few feet away. It would uncoil and slither around on the floor. Worked for him but the shop floor there was wood. My shop space is the garage with a concrete floor - probably not great for a blade.
I wear gloves and throw them out on the grass or the wood shop floor.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
(12-01-2018, 10:24 AM)Gary G™ Wrote: I wear gloves and throw them out on the grass

I've done that before. Some blades just seem to be a snake, and wanting a piece of you
Laugh
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Yep; I had a carbide tipped 124” 1” 3tpi blade rip my shirt sleeve.

Laugh
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
(11-30-2018, 05:21 PM)Large Wooden Badger Wrote: at least it appears to be sharp.

Even the dull ones have bitten me when coiling.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.