12 inch jointer and planner recommendation
Hello friends, I used to have 12 inch planer and jointer made by Logosol, I have sold it because need some little better and upgraded version. I have looked at Grizzly G0634XP but they are out stock. So I am thinking to purchase other brand, I have seen some brands but cannot make my mind and do not have much information about them only by looking at clips at YouTube.
So dose anybody own a good one that will recommend for 12inch planer and jointer, thank you I appreciated your help.
ahmed

I have a Hammier A3-31 12" jointer/planer that I'm very happy with. Here's a good review of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ChzKnQLMww
(12-01-2018, 08:13 AM)Hank Knight Wrote: I have a Hammier A3-31 12" jointer/planer that I'm very happy with. Here's a good review of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ChzKnQLMww

There is no point in buying a hobby grade machine like Hammer or Grizzly if you want a step up from Logosol. You would at best get what you already had.

A step up from Logosol would probably be a Sedgwick or a Felder if you want a new machine.
A secondhand Wadkin or Robinson or Bäuerle or Kölle or SCM l'Invincibile would be another option buy then we are talking about the 16-24" range.
Part timer living on the western coast of Finland. Not a native speaker of English
(12-02-2018, 04:15 AM)TGW Wrote: There is no point in buying a hobby grade machine like Hammer or Grizzly if you want a step up from Logosol. You would at best get what you already had.

A step up from Logosol would probably be a Sedgwick or a Felder if you want a new machine.
A secondhand Wadkin or Robinson or Bäuerle or Kölle or SCM l'Invincibile would be another option buy then we are talking about the 16-24" range.

I'm not sure I'd put the Hammer A3 31 in the same "hobby grade" category as the Grizzly. I've got one and it's a pretty sweet machine, though I can see a day where I might want to upgrade to a 16" Felder. I've had some pretty heavy duty machines in my shop(s) over the years and the Hammer can hold its own against most any of them. 

If you contact Felder USA at their main offices in New Castle, Delaware and ask for Jesse Maynerich, he'll help you get the info you need.

Chuck Bender
Chuck Bender

Woodworking Content Producer –Acanthus Workshop
Period Furniture Maker - Woodworking instructor

What's the used equipment market like where you are?  If it's like here in NY there are plenty of good quality machines available to those who are a little bit patient.  I bought a used MiniMax FS-35 14" J/P for far less than the new Grizzly 12".  It's from the mid 80's but was had seen only light hobby use and was in every way a new machine.  

And I would agree with the comments from TGW in that the smaller machines offered by most everyone are not nearly as heavily built as their larger machines.  If you truly want to take a step up from the Logosol I think you need to look at something larger than 12".  If you had not considered those machines because of cost then look at the used equipment market if that's an option.  

John
Saw a Jet combo planer at the Woodcraft the other day.

Looks like a substantial machine.  I own a number of Jet machines and very satisfied.
(12-03-2018, 09:37 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: Saw a Jet combo planer at the Woodcraft the other day.

Looks like a substantial machine.  I own a number of Jet machines and very satisfied.
The Jet JJP has a reputation for not holding the jointer tables coplanar and being difficult to adjust. I have one but don't have precision setup tools. Mine makes flat square pieces which is what I bought it for. I guess if you want accuracy to .0005" over the length of the tables and 99.999% repeatability the Jet may not be a good choice.
(12-04-2018, 06:06 AM)kurt18947 Wrote: The Jet JJP has a reputation for not holding the jointer tables coplanar and being difficult to adjust. I have one but don't have precision setup tools. Mine makes flat square pieces which is what I bought it for. I guess if you want accuracy to .0005" over the length of the tables and 99.999% repeatability the Jet may not be a good choice.

I have the Jet JJP as well, and converted to helical.  It is complicated to adjust the tables to get them coplanar, and I did have some issues with keeping them that way, but I ended up replacing a few of the adjusters because they were stripped ( due to my fault ) and it now holds the alignment pretty well.  My guess is that the accuracy on mine is probably around .003 and stays that way most of the time, though I don't see it in the same class as the Felder or Hammer.
(12-04-2018, 06:54 AM)barryvabeach Wrote:   I have the Jet JJP as well, and converted to helical.  It is complicated to adjust the tables to get them coplanar, and I did have some issues with keeping them that way, but I ended up replacing a few of the adjusters because they were stripped ( due to my fault ) and it now holds the alignment pretty well.  My guess is that the accuracy on mine is probably around .003 and stays that way most of the time, though I don't see it in the same class as the Felder or Hammer.

It seems a Jet would be a step down from his old Logosol (manufactured by Moretens in Sweden). I have used one of those Logosol/Moretens 410 quite a bit and also done some serious setup wourk on it.
It is pointless to sell one fully functional machine just to get another one of similar or inferrior quality or specifications.

I still keep thinking that a either a Sedgwick Mb308 or Pt255 might be among the few options existing. Sedgwick planer/thicknessers (called jointer/planers in USA) seem to be significantly heavier built than all competitors in this size.
http://sedgwick-machinery.co.uk/?page_id=81
https://www.axminster.co.uk/sedgwick-mb-...er-ax21231
Part timer living on the western coast of Finland. Not a native speaker of English
(12-04-2018, 12:38 PM)TGW Wrote: It seems a Jet would be a step down from his old Logosol (manufactured by Moretens in Sweden). I have used one of those Logosol/Moretens 410 quite a bit and also done some serious setup wourk on it.
It is pointless to sell one fully functional machine just to get another one of similar or inferrior quality or specifications.

I still keep thinking that a either a Sedgwick Mb308 or Pt255 might be among the few options existing. Sedgwick planer/thicknessers (called jointer/planers in USA) seem to be significantly heavier built than all competitors in this size.
http://sedgwick-machinery.co.uk/?page_id=81
https://www.axminster.co.uk/sedgwick-mb-...er-ax21231

The Jet was sold in Europe for some years before being available in the U.S. The Jet knives are not 12", more like 12 1/4". I think it was sold as 310 mm. I found this out by buying 12" knives and when I installed them I was like "huh?". After my 'duh' moment I just moved one knife and try to stay away from the edges. I think it's fair to say the Jet is not in the same class as Hammer or MiniMax but at the time I bought mine the Euro machines were 2X the price. I got mine from Equipment Sales & Surplus in Auburn, WA. It was drop shipped from the Tenn. warehouse and except for being loaded on a truck without a hydraulic lift gate on the first attempt, delivery went fine.