Table Base
My church wants four wooden bases for some tables in our lounge. This is the prototype. My 1/2 hp delta mortiser was not tall enough to cut the mortises so I had to do them by hand.

Now that it's almost done I remembered my Delta came with a riser block. DOH! At least the next three will go faster if the prototype is approved.

It was a fun project with some learning curves and other members helped me so we all learned new tips with this build. Now it just needs cross brace on to secure the top and sanding.

Attached Files Image(s)

Looks like a good start! 
Cool
Nice!
Yes
Yes
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Very pleasing form, I look forward to seeing more!
(12-02-2018, 10:50 AM)WoodworkerTom Wrote: My 1/2 hp delta mortiser was not tall enough to cut the mortises so I had to do them by hand.

A much easier way to cut mortises in the base pieces would be with a handheld plunge router and edge guide or on the router table.   

John
I used a plunge router to get most of the way and cleaned up with a chisel. I don't do mortises all that often.

Now that I have my riser I will cut the mortises before I shape the legs. I made mdf templates of each piece , had my apprentice bandsaw close to the line (most of the time)and used a pattern bit to clean up.

All in all a good project, learned a lot.

And if anyone is interested I hand carved the Wood Shop sign in the background for my father. It was his Christmas present when he started his business processing hardwoods and mouldings. Brought it home after he passed away and I sold the business.

Attached Files Image(s)

Nice! And what a great way to use the talents you were given to give back.