Cleaning up old stained wood
First post:

I had a very old dresser type deal sitting in my attic for ages made out of Walnut. I just broke it down and planed down all of the finish that was on it and the wood looks great. I would like to use it for a cutting board, but I'm worried the chemicals have leeched all the way through the wood.

Question: Even after planing the stain away, are there dangerous chemicals left in the wood making it not-food-safe?

Thank you,
Drew
Good question. Do you have any idea what finish was used on it?
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Walnut is an open grained wood so it's not a great choice for a cutting board.  I'd suggest you find another project for it.  Then there will be no concern about any residual chemicals that might still be in the wood.   

John
We have numerous walnut cutting boards in the family.
My daughter, a professional chef, uses two walnut/black cherry/maple cutting boards I’ve made for her.
No one has ever gotten sick from anything prepared on any of these.
Boos makes numerous premium black walnut cutting boards.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
We've got one here that a friend gave us about 20 years ago. Still going strong.
Has one small split in a glue joint. Maybe I'll fix it some day.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Prepare  it as well as you can to clean it up.
I would make the cutting board end using end grain.

It is a better board and would diminish any surface exposure.
Greg

It's better to burn out than it is to rust

Danchris Nursery
I have no clue what the finish on it was. It was a hand-me-down antique (but ugly so I didn't feel bad breaking it down).
One of the first things I learned in Woodshop, back a few decades, was to use tight grain woods for cutting boards.  As I recall mine was birch. I still have trouble distinguishing birch from maple. Forty years later I threw it away after Mom passed.

Health education and safety standards have never accepted open grain woods such as walnut, or oak in commercial applications cutting boards. They are strongly discouraged, but private citizens can still take chances. If it's fancy or artistic one may hang from my kitchen wall, but I'm not keen on food poisoning guests or myself.
(12-03-2018, 07:32 PM)PNWDaley Wrote: Question: Even after planing the stain away, are there dangerous chemicals left in the wood making it not-food-safe?

This is not some unnamed wood with a stain applied, but actual walnut?

Easy answer is any wood durable in the ground probably has excellent antibacterial properties, BUT if you let something damp linger on it, some of those extractives may transfer and affect the taste. 

Some oil-stained wood? Once the pigment's gone, should be good as fresh wood, as what's left behind is oil you might use for the board anyway.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.