New Marking Gage
I have been considering getting a new marking gage for a while. I really like the one I have . I Got it off from a retiring Pattern Maker back in the 80s. The bar is hex so when it gets dull I just rotate it. The  long bar comes in handy but it is also sometimes cumbersome so I have been looking for something a little shorter.  

Anyway an add came into my email for an iGAGE marking gage, it seem that magazines are partnering with catalog suppliers now. I had already checked it out. I wasn't really considering it because it was at the top of the price range, and I thought the fine adjustment could be a little gimmicky, but the sale price was a good price so I bought one. And here is what I found.

The fit of the bar and the finish of the gage superb. I have arthritics in the thumbs and I can lock the gage solidly in place with one hand. It has both metric and fractional measurements on the bar. I am a 6" steel rule man so I do not know how useful those marking will be but I do have them. It also has a fine adjustment knob that works smoothly and accurately. Again it is a feature I may or not use but it is there when I do chose to use it. Since it is round I tried to get it to roll off the table but I couldn't get it to roll much. The two locking screws put it out of balance so I don't think it could accidentally roll off from my work bench. Yes even I can knock it off or any other one off the bench. Here is a picture.

The only down side I have found is it is a little to big to fit in the drawer I keep my steel rules squares marking knife and so on. I will have to cut a flat on it so it will fit and allow the drawer to close. I used Blum self closing drawer slides on all the drawers on this side so the actual drawer is not as deep as it looks. The drawer is the top right.

I usually don't endorse a tool but I will make an exception on the iGage Marking gage. Fit is smooth,  locks solidly with one hand even with arthritic thumbs and I think it will do everything I ask it to do without messing around. And I don't have to worry about it rolling off from my bench.

If you are going to tell me you found this post useful, great, if you are going to tell me how you do it differently please start your own post.

Tom
Thanks for the review, I’m in the market for a double bevel gauge, I saved their website for checking out later on my computer.
Bruce.
Thanks Tom, that is an excellent review
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
Tom,

I can't find the gauge in your photo. Do you happen to have a link?
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
I do not know how to do links but the web page is chipsfly.com and the cost is $23.95 You will find it in measuring and layout. There is also a mortise gage for about $29. One gets extra cutters and I might have gotten that one had I known about it when I ordered this one.
it's actually made by iGaging

I can only find the non-micro adjust version, but I got tired of looking pretty fast
Thanks for that review! I love marking gauges, but I still don't have a wheel-style gauge. Being able to lock the arm one-handed is an under-appreciated feature, IMO. All the gauges I use regularly lock with one hand, and it's a feature I don't think much about--until I don't have it.

I might just have to order myself a little Christmas present....
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Quote:It also has a fine adjustment knob that works smoothly and accurately. Again it is a feature I may or not use but it is there when I do chose to use it. 

Tom, I have a couple of Tite-Marks, which the iGaging is clearly copying, as well as non-fine adjuster Veritas (as well as the fine adjuster types). Generally my go-to marking gauge is the Veritas non-adjuster since I find these quicker to adjust (using just a squeeze of the fingers). The point I want to make is that the TM is definitely (in my opinion) the doyen of wheel gauges, however for those that favour one-handed adjusting, it is slower as it has two knobs to loosen and tighten.

TM, Veritas, etc ...

[Image: Wheel-gauges1.jpg]

This ..

[Image: image012.jpg]

versus this ...

[Image: gauge1-zpsjlvujzlp.jpg]

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(12-08-2018, 08:23 PM)Derek Cohen Wrote: Tom, I have a couple of Tite-Marks, which the iGaging is clearly copying, as well as non-fine adjuster Veritas (as well as the fine adjuster types). Generally my go-to marking gauge is the Veritas non-adjuster since I find these quicker to adjust (using just a squeeze of the fingers). The point I want to make is that the TM is definitely (in my opinion) the doyen of wheel gauges, however for those that favour one-handed adjusting, it is slower as it has two knobs to loosen and tighten.

TM, Veritas, etc ...

[Image: Wheel-gauges1.jpg]

This ..

[Image: image012.jpg]

versus this ...

[Image: gauge1-zpsjlvujzlp.jpg]

Regards from Perth

Derek
Quote. If you are going to tell me you found this post useful, great, if you are going to tell me how you do it differently please start your own post. 

It still apply s , I don't care about the others, I liked the gage for basically $23, I bought it,  I like it and I passed it on. What everyone does with it is their decision. Again if you want to find fault with this company or any other please start your own post.

Tom
No Tom. Once you make a statement or offer an opinion, you are starting a discussion. If you do so on a forum, then you invite others to participate ... because information shared is useful. If you are not inviting commentary, then all you are doing is writing a commercial.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com