Mortising question
[attachment=14818 Wrote:jteneyck pid='7694588' dateline='1543937235']A much easier way to go about it is to plow a 3/4" (or 1/2") wide dado where you want the mortises.  Then when you install the slats glue 1" spacers between them.  I usually make those spacers just slightly higher than the dado which avoids having to get them perfectly flush and also gives a nice shadow line.   Here's a picture to show you what I'm talking about; it's for balcony balusters but is the same process.  

[Image: F_g8yeGu-M_hkRcwiwfCc_pE4YHTd6Mw6LVCXWns...35-h626-no]

John

Oh! Work arounds are part of the fun of woodworking!  Although I've never used your method I did something similar here.  On the top photo the foot is split and the verticals are captured by dados.  On the bottom I only dadoed the widest bottom piece, glued on a more narrower side piece and then a 3/8" cap.  It takes a woodworker to figure out what I did! In my current project I really wanted to try out the mortising machine.

Attached Files Image(s)

I had a good day. I used every tool I own!
(12-03-2018, 09:54 PM)Papa Jim Wrote: . Instead of two plunges with a 3/4" I could do 4 with a 1/2" bit. 

Papa Jim

I think two plunges with a 3/4 would give you a 1 1/2 inch mortise.  Four plunges with a 1/2 would give you a 2 inch mortise.  Don't you mean three plunges with a 1/2, or is there something here I don't understand?
(12-04-2018, 07:39 PM)joespehar Wrote: I think two plunges with a 3/4 would give you a 1 1/2 inch mortise.  Four plunges with a 1/2 would give you a 2 inch mortise.  Don't you mean three plunges with a 1/2, or is there something here I don't understand?

3/4"x1" holes, which would require two plunges with the 3/4 bit, even though the second plunge would not be a full 3/4x3/4 plunge.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(12-04-2018, 07:39 PM)joespehar Wrote: I think two plunges with a 3/4 would give you a 1 1/2 inch mortise.  Four plunges with a 1/2 would give you a 2 inch mortise.  Don't you mean three plunges with a 1/2, or is there something here I don't understand?

However many it takes to get a 3/4" x 1" hole. I knew I was going to have to overlap them.
I had a good day. I used every tool I own!