Router bit speed questions
I ended up having to buy a bigger cove bit for a project (a 3/4" radius one), and I'm having to wait a week for my router speed control to show up (since it wasn't eligible for Amazon prime). In the meantime, I had a couple of questions...what would happen if you used a big bit at much too high a speed for its diameter? Would it fly apart like an angle grinder disc, or would it just be way too much vibration and stress on the motor? Or is it both? Now, I'm not gonna actually try it, but I did a google search and couldn't find any info, so I just thought I'd check if anyone here knew. 

I actually had an incident with my variable speed polisher where I used a 6" pad instead of a 5" (which I didn't know was the max size for my tool). I put it on the highest speed, and when I just held it away from any surface for a few seconds, a chunk of the foam came off and was hurled about 30 feet or so to my right, which I didn't think was physically possible for foam. I'd hate to imagine the damage an exploding router bit could do (if that is indeed what would happen at too high a speed).
Near future projects:

-Curly Maple display case
-Jatoba and Quilted Maple dresser
I have never had a bit come apart but have noticed a vibration when using a large diameter bit at too much speed.

Router Bit Speeds Bit Diameter
Maximum Speed
Up to 1 inch
24,000 rpm
1 to 2 inches
18,000 rpm
2 to 2-1/2 inches
16,000 rpm
2-1/2 to 3-1/2 inches
12,000 rpm
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
One thing is you'd get a lot of burning. The tip would be so fast there would be incredible heat built up. I suspect it would also be a big load on the router, so something besides the wood might burn.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
My biggest routers are 3-1/4hp
My biggest bits are 2"
I have no variable speed routers. I don't want the problems associated with them.

Anything over 2", get run on the shaper if I can
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(I posted this before reading the answers from the other OP's. My bad. This answer is redundant to their great answers).....
I suppose a poorly made or balanced bit could fly apart but most likely you would have vibration that does your cutter and router no good. The main reason for slowing a large bit down has to do with SFM (surface feet per minute). This has to do with how fast the cutting edge is traveling past the material. The larger diameter means the edges of the bit are traveling at much to high speed. This means faster bit wear and potential burning of wood
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!