Motor Guys, help needed! (track saw)
I have a Grizzly T10687 track saw.  It is maybe six years old.  I have used it maybe five times.  Really.  It just sits on top of the shelf unused.  I have broken down just a few sheets of plywood with it.  It was an impulse buy.
It started having trouble starting.  I'd have to flick the trigger several times, for a long time sometimes to get it to start and then I couldn't shut it off or I'd be back at square one, flicking the switch.  That's one of the reasons it just sat on the shelf.  I figured it was the switch.  I tried to get to the switch, but you have to take the entire saw apart.

A few weeks ago I got it down.  I got it started and while running through some 3/4" plywood it just slowed down real slow and stopped and that was it.  I put it on the shelf in disgust.

Today I took the back motor cover off.  This is where the brushes are.  I looked and the motor and the windings seemed alittle dark.  Nothing melted, just dark.  I took the brushes out.  One was worn normally.  A rectangle with a concave rubbing surface where it rubs on the commutator (i think that is what it's called).  The other was worn from the top down almost to a point.  No curved concave surface.  The commutator had a lot of build up on it also.  It looked like carbon.  It wasn't copper color.  The holder for the bad brush looked mishapened (bent) and as if it had been hot.

My questions are: Is this salvagable?  
                      Should I order new brushes and clean the commutator?

I don't necessarily know what I'm doing.  I can do simple stuff.
I don't know how to post pictures or I would.

Thanks for your help.

RP
Brushes and holders are cheap. Might be worth a try.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(12-08-2018, 06:16 PM)RPE1 Wrote: I have a Grizzly T10687 track saw.  It is maybe six years old.  I have used it maybe five times.  Really.  It just sits on top of the shelf unused.  I have broken down just a few sheets of plywood with it.  It was an impulse buy.
It started having trouble starting.  I'd have to flick the trigger several times, for a long time sometimes to get it to start and then I couldn't shut it off or I'd be back at square one, flicking the switch.  That's one of the reasons it just sat on the shelf.  I figured it was the switch.  I tried to get to the switch, but you have to take the entire saw apart.

A few weeks ago I got it down.  I got it started and while running through some 3/4" plywood it just slowed down real slow and stopped and that was it.  I put it on the shelf in disgust.

Today I took the back motor cover off.  This is where the brushes are.  I looked and the motor and the windings seemed alittle dark.  Nothing melted, just dark.  I took the brushes out.  One was worn normally.  A rectangle with a concave rubbing surface where it rubs on the commutator (i think that is what it's called).  The other was worn from the top down almost to a point.  No curved concave surface.  The commutator had a lot of build up on it also.  It looked like carbon.  It wasn't copper color.  The holder for the bad brush looked mishapened (bent) and as if it had been hot.

Thanks for your help.

RP

If the brush holder is bent, that is the issue.  Call Grizzly and get a brush holder and new brushes, clean it all up and it will be ok.   May have been bent from factory which is why it overheated the holder.   Roly
(12-09-2018, 08:46 AM)Roly Wrote: If the brush holder is bent, that is the issue.  Call Grizzly and get a brush holder and new brushes, clean it all up and it will be ok.   May have been bent from factory which is why it overheated the holder.   Roly

^^^^ This^^^^^^^^^^

You may be able to straighten the brush holder (if they don't stock a replacement).
New brushes and bobs your uncle.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
(12-09-2018, 08:46 AM)Roly Wrote: If the brush holder is bent, that is the issue.  Call Grizzly and get a brush holder and new brushes, clean it all up and it will be ok.   May have been bent from factory which is why it overheated the holder.   Roly

LINK to parts manual.  get parts 3,4, & 24   (brush holder, brush spring, & the brush)
(12-08-2018, 06:16 PM)RPE1 Wrote: I have a Grizzly T10687 track saw.  It is maybe six years old.  I have used it maybe five times.  Really.  It just sits on top of the shelf unused.  I have broken down just a few sheets of plywood with it.  It was an impulse buy.

Thanks for your help.

RP

Thanks for your responses.  I'll get them ordered today.\

RP

Thanks for your help.

RP
I got the new brushes and brush holder.  I installed them and the saw started right up.  Thanks for your help.
RP
(12-13-2018, 08:07 AM)RPE1 Wrote: I got the new brushes and brush holder.  I installed them and the saw started right up.  Thanks for your help.
RP

Great
Big Grin         Roly