Hybrid saws
I am beginning to shop to replace my current table saw . I am currently using an old craftsman contractor saw that I have updated with an Incra LS fence system . I love the Incra and intend to put it on whatever saw I buy . 

I really dont think I need a 5 hp cabinet saw and I have been shopping Hybrid saws and 3 hp cabinet saws  .  Are  the cabinet saws really worth the extra money compared to the Hybrids ? 

Any opinions or advice is welcome including brand name pros and cons
(12-09-2018, 09:13 AM)Buckhunter Wrote: I am beginning to shop to replace my current table saw . I am currently using an old craftsman contractor saw that I have updated with an Incra LS fence system . I love the Incra and intend to put it on whatever saw I buy . 

I really dont think I need a 5 hp cabinet saw and I have been shopping Hybrid saws and 3 hp cabinet saws  .  Are  the cabinet saws really worth the extra money compared to the Hybrids ? 

Any opinions or advice is welcome including brand name pros and cons

What are you looking to improve upon?  power? dust collection? alignment? safety features? compactness?  good looks?

Matt
I know I'm going to catch flack for this but, here goes. Since I've been a professional woodworker for over 30 years, the shops that I've worked in have had Unisaws almost exclusively. Throw in the occasional Powermatic and that about does it. My current employer has a Unisaw that is probably 10 years old or so. The biggest issue is maintenance, there is none.  I don't work in the shop every day, rarely actually. Last week, I couldn't get it to lay over for a 45 degree bevel rip cut. I had to clean it out and lube the gears.

Now, I use a Dewalt jobsite saw every day. I have an older one myself. I also have the Rigid TS3660 contractor saw in my home shop. In all reality, it is my favorite saw that I have access to at the moment. The main reason is that I keep it well maintained and adjusted. I also use the appropriate blade for the task. These are things that my employer doesn't do, which has something to do with my dislike for the work Unisaw. I have cut everything I've ever wanted to with the Ridgid, no issues.

The bottom line is, first determine what type of woodworking is in your future. Then, size your saw accordingly. A good cabinet saw is a pleasure to use, no doubt. I was able to save myself a bunch of money by buying the Ridgid, it has served me well and I'd buy it again. I had a Grizzly contractor before this and sold it when I had to downsize my life. It was also a great saw. Oh, I don't use it every day but when I do, it works great.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
(12-09-2018, 09:26 AM)mdhills Wrote: What are you looking to improve upon?  power? dust collection? alignment? safety features? compactness?  good looks?

Matt

power , alignment , and dust collection are all on my list
(12-09-2018, 10:42 AM)Buckhunter Wrote: power , alignment , and dust collection are all on my list

There's usually plenty of used saws to be had.
Power, I would look at 3hp in a cabinet saw.
Keep an eye out on CL and your local ads and something may come up.
If you have some local wood/cabinet shops around, visit with them. They may know of something local.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Seems like the hybred saws were the "thing" for a short time.

Don't hear/see anything about them anymore.

Confused
If power, alignment, and dust collection are the wants, I'd go ahead go with a 3HP cabinet saw.  They can be mobilized like a hybrid and the added power sure comes in useful for my situation.

I presume you already have 220V electrical supply for the saw figured out.

In my area, used cabinet saws don't show up on Craigslist very often; your area might be different.
I have 1.5hp saw.  Alignment is spot on!  Dust collection is okay.  Power is not there.  Wish I could justify upgrading to a 3hp.

IMHO if power is one of your criteria, skip anything that runs on 110.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
I have a 3 hp Sawstop. I can't think of anything I have built in my 50 years of woodworking that required more power; 3 hp is plenty for a hobby woodshop. Sawstop makes a fine saw. I highly recommend them. Alignment is easy and stays put and dust collection is very good. Mine is the industrial cabinet saw model. They make both a hybrid saw and a contractor model. I don't know much about the contractor saw, but the hybrid model looks very good. As long as you are replacing and upgrading, you might as well consider the Sawstop. Not only are they very well designed and built machines, the safety technology alone is well worth any additional cost.
(12-13-2018, 09:38 AM)Hank Knight Wrote: I have a 3 hp Sawstop. I can't think of anything I have built in my 50 years of woodworking that required more power; 3 hp is plenty for a hobby woodshop. Sawstop makes a fine saw. I highly recommend them. Alignment is easy and stays put and dust collection is very good. Mine is the industrial cabinet saw model. They make both a hybrid saw and a contractor model. I don't know much about the contractor saw, but the hybrid model looks very good. As long as you are replacing and upgrading, you might as well consider the Sawstop. Not only are they very well designed and built machines, the safety technology alone is well worth any additional cost.

What Hank said. I have a 3 HP Sawstop PCS; replaced my Unisaw. Before that I had a Powermatic contractor saw. Before that a very dangerous and underpowered "bench" tablesaw with a flimsy stamped steel cabinet. Will never go back.

Doug