Walnut
A neighbor had a tree blow down during the hurricane in October.  They finally got to cutting it up last week.  From the road, it looked like either walnut or hickory.  Somebody else took most of the big straight logs, I assume to cut into lumber but there is/was still a lot left at 8-10" diameter and a couple logs bigger than that.  I brought home some of the smaller stuff, and 2 logs that are 18-20" diameter.  hopefully will get more next week before it gets hauled off as firewood.   the stump that's left over is about 3' across.
A few years back a friend of mine had several walnut trees removed. The guys that removed them dug up the stumps and leveled the ground up. The stumps went for a premium. I understand that those who make pistol grips use them because of the grain patterns.
BAT

A man wearing a helmet defending our nation should make more money than a man wearing a helmet playing games!
If you can saw them up into blanks and rough turn them. This will keep the cracking to a minimum. If the blanks are big enough you can seal them but they may crack a bit. If their big enough you can cut that away at the time.
Don
I rescued a few pieces from the firewood pile. about 6" dia.  So far I have roughed out 2 bud vases. The mix of dark walnut and white sap wood makes an interesting contrast.

My boss is a Jewish carpenter. Our DADDY owns the business.
Trying to understand some people is like trying to pick up the clean end of a turd.
Try to get the ugliest most crooked pieces you can-the stuff wood cutters don't like to split.  That's where you'll find the most interesting grain.  Too bad you can't get the stump.
(12-09-2018, 07:06 PM)Bobby Thompson Wrote: A few years back a friend of mine had several walnut trees removed. The guys that removed them dug up the stumps and leveled the ground up. The stumps went for a premium. I understand that those who make pistol grips use them because of the grain patterns.

Depending on where you are, that may be because they were "English"  (Circassian) white walnut trees normally grafted to black walnut rootstock.  Makes for a beautiful marriage.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(12-16-2018, 01:18 PM)Rodneywt1180b  Too bad you can\t get the stump. Wrote: Try to get the ugliest most crooked pieces you can-the stuff wood cutters don't like to split.  That's where you'll find the most interesting grain.  Too bad you can't get the stump.

i can probably get the stump if I asked,  I just don't have time to go cut it out.  I don't think it's going anywhere.   I may ask if I can bring my trailer down there and get some more wood.  at least at my house it will be under a tarp.