Any holiday sales on router lifts?
Been thinking about a router lift, not a whole lot of use for one but would be nice to have when needed.  Was hoping for some knockdown holiday prices on some router lifts but have seen none.  Seems like a whole lot of tools come up for sale this time of year and was hoping to jump on board with some savings.  I have seen some other very good semi-pro tools discounted up to around 40% and have been spending money.  After all, who wants to die with money in the bank?  :-)

Suggestions please??
Don't know of a sale, but I've been extremely happy with the version 1 of the PRL from Woodpeckers.  I got it in the 1/32" threadscrew pitch and have the PC 7518 router motor (3.25 HP) installed.  I couldn't be happier.  Super sturdy and the fine adjustment of 1/32" per revolution is further divided into 32 increments ... this equates to adjustability down to the .001".  Even if its not on sale, it's well worth the investment.

Their version 2 model is here and I also have the full set of Lock_Rings
I too have several prl v1 lifts. Used two last night. Not once have i used a measurement dial for measuring adjustments. They are great. I buy them used when others feel like trying the latest greatest.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Have to agree with the above comments.  

I've had a PRL V1 with a big PC router, for I don't know how many years and I've never had a single problem of any kind.   It was the first I think, or nearly so, and everybody else tried to compete with poorly designed "me too" products, a lost cause IMHO.  

A Woodpeckers is more expensive, but, there are none better.
(12-10-2018, 10:34 AM)opticsguy Wrote: Been thinking about a router lift, not a whole lot of use for one but would be nice to have when needed.  Was hoping for some knockdown holiday prices on some router lifts but have seen none.  Seems like a whole lot of tools come up for sale this time of year and was hoping to jump on board with some savings.  I have seen some other very good semi-pro tools discounted up to around 40% and have been spending money.  After all, who wants to die with money in the bank?  :-)

Suggestions please??

Another vote for the original Woodpecker PRL mated with a PC 7518. Had mine for 15+ yrs. with no complaints. There's one on Ebay right now; seems to have a complete set of aluminum inserts, pretty rare these days.

Woodpecker PRL

Doug
I have had Rockler’s Router Lift FX for more than six years. It is under $200 normally, which puts it well below their new version and most others.

I like that it has no locking system. Just raise or lower and it stays. In six years of hard use, it has never changed depth on it’s own.

Another alternative is to use the PC 890 in a standard insert plate. The 890 can be unlocked, raised, lowered and relocated all from above the plate. Even bit changes above the plate. 

Oddly, the special handle they make for this is hard to find, but I have a video showing how to make one for a few dollars.

Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
(12-10-2018, 10:34 AM)opticsguy Wrote: Been thinking about a router lift, not a whole lot of use for one but would be nice to have when needed.  Was hoping for some knockdown holiday prices on some router lifts but have seen none.  Seems like a whole lot of tools come up for sale this time of year and was hoping to jump on board with some savings.  I have seen some other very good semi-pro tools discounted up to around 40% and have been spending money.  After all, who wants to die with money in the bank?  :-)

Suggestions please??

Router Raizer user here. Not as fancy as the multi $$ lifts but does what I need it to do. I have it installed on a Freud FT2000E router but will fit most plunge routers. That's one difference from fancy lifts - it fits a plunge router, won't work with fixed base machines. The screw is 16 t.p.i so one turn moves the router 1/16", half turn is 1/32" etc. There's enough drag engineered into the mechanism that I haven't had to lock the router in use. It did move when I removed the plunge springs as recommended but once I replaced the plunge springs the depth of cut doesn't change while in use. The other thing I noticed without the plunge spring installed is that the bit would move horizontally a tiny bit when locking the plunge base. I can lock the plunge base with the spring installed and the bit doesn't move perceptibly.
Original poster here again.  Never did find any sales on router lifts or tool combos containing one.  Also, prefer to see tools in real before purchasing and I did see a Woodpeckers PRL-V@-420-BD a few days ago. Was NOT impressed with the thumbwheel, was not convenient for my thumb or fingers, the rotating dial had some kind of knurling on the face making reading the very few markings almost impossible and also the "T" tool for either raising or lowering the router and/or locking into place was dropping the router full depth when turned.  Not sure why this kind of expensive tool would allow such an event to happen at all.  Of course reading instruction book might be able to prevent such a disaster, however, even the possibility of being able to drop your router in a big bang is not an option I would choose.  

No hurry for me, the right tool will come along at the right time.  
Tom has one in S&S which is the same one I have and it is great.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Something is wrong with or broken on that PRL is dropping the router when the handle is in. I have the same lift and it takes gentle pressure on the handle to raise or lower the router .
MKM - Master Kindling Maker