Stanley No. 1 SOLD
Well, earlier in this thread someone mentioned that the No. 1's hold their value well. So, if you bite the bullet and slap your Benjamins down for one, you could always sell it later and probably at least get your money back. Might be fun to fondle one for a year or two then pass it on.

As for that No. 2, I would offer $100 for it just to see if the guy bites.

carl
(12-12-2018, 08:01 AM)Carl Grover Wrote: Well, earlier in this thread someone mentioned that the No. 1's hold their value well. So, if you bite the bullet and slap your Benjamins down for one, you could always sell it later and probably at least get your money back. Might be fun to fondle one for a year or two then pass it on.

carl
Keep your eye out for one of these little guys..Chaplin #1..Smaller than the Stanley #1...I snagged the type #1 at a flea market in 1993 for 20 bucks..sold it for 900 bucks and wish I had it back...a few years after I sold it, Martin Donnelly sold it at his auction for $26,500....Mine had the nickel plated tote and knob with a red interior...It is RARE!!!!
Crazy

http://www.petermcbride.com/chaplin/
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(12-12-2018, 08:01 AM)Carl Grover Wrote: Well, earlier in this thread someone mentioned that the No. 1's hold their value well. So, if you bite the bullet and slap your Benjamins down for one, you could always sell it later and probably at least get your money back. Might be fun to fondle one for a year or two then pass it on.

carl

I wouldn't. The cap iron is from a No. 3. You can tell by how high it sits above the plane body. The blade has been ground to function as a scrub plane, which is a bad sign. He hasn't shown any pictures of the frog, or close-ups of the bed. I suspect it's hodgepodge of different planes. I don't think it has much value.
    I found them

Attached Files Image(s)

Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Walt Q had two #1's, one still in the box and wrapped in the ''grease'' paper. The other one had seen some use, tiny critters.

We had met up here, if you're traveling through New England this is a great place to spend some time.

http://www.deliatoolmuseum.com/
I picked up one of these to tide me over until I find a Stanley.
this one isn't mine but the picture was readily available

[Image: s-l1600.jpg]
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Actually, the LN version is more usable than the original.  I've tried to use my Stanley, but its really not optimal.  I played with a LN at a show a while back and it was a pleasure to use, but I actually prefer a #2, which will do everything a #1 will do anyway.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(12-12-2018, 09:07 PM)Admiral Wrote: Actually, the LN version is more usable than the original.  I've tried to use my Stanley, but its really not optimal.  I played with a LN at a show a while back and it was a pleasure to use, but I actually prefer a #2, which will do everything a #1 will do anyway.

I have to admit I have never used it but I like to look at it.  It reminds of a minature train set.  It came as part of a package with a lot of it's bigger siblings

Phil Thien

(12-12-2018, 09:07 PM)Admiral Wrote: Actually, the LN version is more usable than the original.  I've tried to use my Stanley, but its really not optimal.  I played with a LN at a show a while back and it was a pleasure to use, but I actually prefer a #2, which will do everything a #1 will do anyway.

I've got an LN No. 2. I never use it.