Handworks, Amana IA?
This post by Chris Schwarz:https://blog.lostartpress.com/2018/12/09/demonstrating-at-fine-woodworking-live/ has me speculating that Handworks might not happen in May.  FWW magazine has their event scheduled in late April and a mid-May date usually occupied by Handworks would mean two major events just a few weeks apart.  That seems like a struggle for the vendors that would like to participate in both.  In the case of Handworks, the vendors are the event. 
I hope I'm wrong.  It would be great to have the two to look forward to in 2019.
I’ve never been to Handworks, something always seems to come up that prevents me from going. Maybe one year the stars will align and I’ll get to go.
"When I nod my head, hit it." - M. Howard.

"I think you should learn how to use hand tools before you even touch a power tool." - Sam Maloof
(12-11-2018, 08:41 AM)Mike Brady Wrote: This post by Chris Schwarz:https://blog.lostartpress.com/2018/12/09/demonstrating-at-fine-woodworking-live/ has me speculating that Handworks might not happen in May.  FWW magazine has their event scheduled in late April and a mid-May date usually occupied by Handworks would mean two major events just a few weeks apart.  That seems like a struggle for the vendors that would like to participate in both.  In the case of Handworks, the vendors are the event. 
I hope I'm wrong.  It would be great to have the two to look forward to in 2019.

Handworks is not happening in 2019. It may happen in 2020 or later, but definitely not '19.
Thanks.  I'm very glad to have attended them in past years.  From a tool selection standpoint, there was nothing even close.  Events that offer some instruction or education have become quite expensive, and I question their value if they offer no hands-on content.
If the 1% response rate to this posting is an indicator of interest in hand tool events, it is perhaps best that there is not one being planned.
(12-13-2018, 09:38 AM)Mike Brady Wrote: If the 1% response rate to this posting is an indicator of interest in hand tool events, it is perhaps best that there is not one being planned.

Well, to be honest, HW sort of puts limits on itself due to geography; from my point of view it is simply a midwest thing, and a western midwest thing really (a seven hour drive from Cincinnati even).  While I've not been to Amana, and I'm sure its nice, from the east coast it's simply too long of a drive (15 hours for me, heck 12 from Atlanta or Dallas), and by air, it would take two planes and a rental car from the airport at Cedar Rapids to get there.  Same with the west coast.  So while I'd love to attend (and attendance seems to be strong), its not likely I'll be there anytime soon unless some relatives move to Iowa.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I only got to attend one Handworks, but it was very crowded the day I was there.

Geography did not seem to hinder it.

It takes and enormous effort to put on, and it was free. That may be why they took an extra year off.

I hope they do it again, and right there in Iowa, where it belongs.
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite
Never attended any Handworks, because of hard-to-justify costs (car, airfare & accommodation; food is not a factor as we get to eat even if we stay home, and vacation days are abundant). In this era of online shopping, you can get anything without being at a vendor's place physically (think Vesper). Any discounts offered by the vendors at any shows are more than offset by the costs involved in going there.

So, unless I happen to be traveling in the state or area where a woodworking show is held, I don't make a long trip like some of you do, just to buy something (admit it (for some of you): buying is your MAIN purpose of going there. Educational talks or seminars, meeting your "fellow" (aka stranger) woodworkers, and saying hi to whoever "celebrity" presenters available in the show are just icing). I can buy any hand tools I still want using the money saved from attending one of those shows that require flying to be there.

Consumerism is all these shows are all about (nothing wrong, but don't showcase them as anything else please). Shows are fun to go if one is near you. Just go, but without any of those flowery excuses.

Simon