Solid wood doors for workbench top?
I would like to build a new workbench https://mechanicguides.com/best-woodworking-bench/. My current one I got for free on Craigslist and has gotten the job done but lacks a lot. I'm looking into using a solid wooden door as the top. I'm finding several sources for used doors but they are composite cores. They are very heavy and seem very solid but should I hold out for solid wood like oak instead of a composite type?
I'm guessing you would be searching a very long time for a door with a lumber core. I'd go ahead and use one with particle board center. About 15 years ago I built my router table and at the time there was a lot of buzz on one of these forums about using 1/2 of a solid core door. I bought one and cut it apart only to discover that it was particle board. Disappointed, I used it anyway and it has held up fine for all these years. Just last year i picked up 2 at the local Restore, I used one for a desk top in the shop and the second will be a rolling bench when I get the frame.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(12-12-2018, 02:59 AM)Kekonsetyk Wrote: I would like to build a new workbench. My current one I got for free on Craigslist and has gotten the job done but lacks a lot. I'm looking into using a solid wooden door as the top. I'm finding several sources for used doors but they are composite cores. They are very heavy and seem very solid but should I hold out for solid wood like oak instead of a composite type?

I used a solid wood door and it has been in use for many years. I wish I could figure out how to post pictures here so you could see it.
George

if it ain't broke, you're not tryin'
Quando omni flunkus, moritati.
Red Green

My first workbench used a solid core door as the work surface.  The core was actually particle board.  While the door was relatively flat, the particle board posed a lot of issues for using it as a traditional workbench surface.  First of all, any holes drilled in the door for things like holdfasts, vises, etc. expose the particle board which is not strong enough to take threads to attach vises or provide the friction needed to keep a holdfast secure.  I suppose you could plug those holes with solid wood and re-drill, but getting the plug to adhere to particle board will be tricky.  Solid core doors are also not thick enough to get good purchase for holdfasts, if you're going to use them.  Ideally, you'll need 3-4" thickness for that.

One alternative is to add MDF to the top and bottom.  You'll get better weight, add some thickness, and get a little bit better thread purchase for screws.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I picked up a door by the dumpster behind the senior living place my parents lived at.

Must have weighed 200#.  It was particle board core with laminate covering.

I set it up as a work table for my wife (she restores old sewing machines) and it has worked out quite well.

But they will sag without proper support.
I have used a particle board door as the top of my lathe stand for many years. I wrapped it with solid wood trim.

The one issue you’ll have for a work bench, I think, is whether it can work with holdfasts.

I used a solid top from Grizzly for mine.
10-4 on the solid core PB veneer covered door. I have one built like a bench, which holds my lathe.
I also have 4 oak veneered doors that came from a school I believe. I'll use those someday for something.

Yes, finding a solid wood cored door would be mission impossible these days.
Maybe if you could find a real old deconstruction co. somewhere that keeps/sells the old doors.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020