Wood Carving Knives
(12-15-2018, 09:24 PM)MauleSkinner Wrote: Jumping in a little late, but I've recently started whittling for various reasons, not the least of which is now that I'm a grandpa, I need to act like one.
Wink Actually just adding something that I can do "wherever, whenever".

To that end, I'm more interested in folding knives...I've been carrying pocket knives for everything else, but I'm realizing that many modern pocket knife grinds suck for whittling. Even shaving sharp, they're too blunt/thick to be usable for whittling. I found an old Ward's knife that had better grinds (and apparently carbon steel), but the blades had been abused. I sharpened the sheepsfoot and pen blades, and reprofiled the broken clip blade into something resembling a wharncliffe profile. I'm really enjoying that knife, and eventually will do a little more work on it to make it exactly what I want.

I've also got a couple of old stockman knives with carbon steel blades that need some work, including blade replacement. I'm going to try making new O1 blades in the profiles I want. We'll see what happens.
Let me say here that I sprang for a Schrade folding carver recently from amazon, and it is a huge disappointment..The steel is no where near as hard as it needs to be, the blades are too thick and blunt..They need to be ground to a long taper to be useful but even that wont help because they are soft and the joints are not tight..way too much "play" in the joints...I do not recommend them!!!!!
No
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(12-15-2018, 10:38 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: .........................
Let me say here that I sprang for a Schrade folding carver recently from amazon, and it is a huge disappointment..The steel is no where near as hard as it needs to be, the blades are too thick and blunt..They need to be ground to a long taper to be useful but even that wont help because they are soft and the joints are not tight..way too much "play" in the joints...I do not recommend them!!!!!
No

I love folders and have on on me all the time - even when I'm wearing a suit.  My first ever carving knife was the Flexcut carvin' jack and it was fine until I tried my first fixed blade knife.  No comparison. 

I know that folders are convenient and know they've been used successfully for centuries.  But, they're not as comfortable and (IMHO) not as safe for wood carving.  I can't imagine using a slip joint folder for carving.  Even a locking blade doesn't feel as secure as a fixed blade.

Steve
(12-13-2018, 12:31 PM)dry heat Wrote: I carve mostly caricature, bark houses and such and those I carve with use mainly Helvie, Drake, Cape  Forge and a few others. If you are carving caricature or other figures similar look at the knives made by actual carvers of the sort of carvings you intend to carve. Look on the Wood Carving Illustrated forum for TMI on the subject. And similar to many crafts you’ll never be able to have just one.

Ed

I like what Ed said along with all the rest.  One more thing is Look for a carving club and I am very sure you can try different knives there and once you find what you like buy that.

Another thing like Jack or Timberwolf is get a blade and make your own handle so it fits just perfect in your hand.  Like he said also D2 is a great steel along with M4 is one of the best also.

If you want to make your own blade and buy the steel look here

D2, O1 and A2

https://www.mcmaster.com/metal-bars

M2 and M4

I am going to save this so I can go back to it.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(12-17-2018, 04:23 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: I like what Ed said along with all the rest.  One more thing is Look for a carving club and I am very sure you can try different knives there and once you find what you like buy that.

Another thing like Jack or Timberwolf is get a blade and make your own handle so it fits just perfect in your hand.  Like he said also D2 is a great steel along with M4 is one of the best also.

If you want to make your own blade and buy the steel look here

D2, O1 and A2

M2 and M4

I am going to save this so I can go back to it.

Making my own handles is definitely a direction I plan to go and I would love to get into making my own blades but I would probably need a few new tools to do so and the wife has been vetoing tool purchases to start yet another hobby! Probably for the best though!
Wink
(12-17-2018, 04:33 PM)cajunwoodworks Wrote: Making my own handles is definitely a direction I plan to go and I would love to get into making my own blades but I would probably need a few new tools to do so and the wife has been vetoing tool purchases to start yet another hobby! Probably for the best though!
Wink
Don't let the lack of machines keep you from making your own, and they don't have to be some exotic steel..You can buy Warren blades and modify them or use them the way they come..Their steel is excellent, and they have been making them for 50 years, so they are not "new to the field"...They are USA made!!!!...I noticed that Harbor Freight had their RA grinders this week for $9.95, and that's a steal IMO...They can do both cutting AND grinding. Metal cutting blades and planer blades are HSS and that's a good source of material for blades!!! Just about any steel that resists filing can be used... just take your rime and don't get it so hot that it turns blue when working it..Plenty of craftsmen have made some outstanding hunting and Bushcraft knives on a little HF belt sander/grinder...selling for ~$45.00....and it's great for making the handles also!!!!

Get off my lawn !
Upset

(12-17-2018, 04:43 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ..............You can buy Warren blades and modify them or use them the way they come..Their steel is excellent, and they have been making them for 50 years, so they are not "new to the field"...They are USA made!!!!........

Thanks Jack!

I went to their website:

https://www.warrencutlery.com/product-li...cid51.html

and got a 6 pack of assorted blades for only $7.25 plus $1 shipping. 

[Image: 32513909868_5e473dff4f_o.png]

I'll be making some knife handles for the new year.

Mike
(12-19-2018, 04:45 PM)Ohio Mike Wrote: Thanks Jack!

I went to their website:

https://www.warrencutlery.com/product-li...cid51.html

and got a 6 pack of assorted blades for only $7.25 plus $1 shipping. 

[Image: 32513909868_5e473dff4f_o.png]

I'll be making some knife handles for the new year.

Mike
That's great, Mike......I think you will like those blades...One tip I can offer to you that I leaned from Paul Hamler's youtube video...Take your knife with the curved blade and place the edge on a smooth file, then strike it with a stick of wood to drive the edge into the serrations..It will impress those serrations into the blade's edge..This new micro "saw" can come in quite handy in whittling and carving...good luck..
Winkgrin

Get off my lawn !
Upset

The Frost/Mora knives linked above are excellent to start with.  For myself, I prefer a longer one for longer cuts, especially for things like spoon handles, and I find a somewhat longer knife more versatile.  But I think I'm in the minority on that one.  You can find even more different kinds of Mora knives on Amazon.

As far as I'm concerned, you can do a whole lot with just one straight Frost knife and a chip carving knife.  The German-made chip carving knives that Lee Valley sells are excellent.  

One of the Frost knives and one of the German ones, and you've got your qualification for free shipping until Jan. 7th. 

Just sayin'...  
Wink
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Y’all have done it now.
I’m going to have to get a knife or two and learn whittlin’ and carving.
My 4-year old granddaughter was watching Jim Redhawk make his Eagle head and she said she wants to learn too.
Jack—any Friday night blue lights?!?
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
(12-24-2018, 05:08 PM)Gary G™ Wrote: Y’all have done it now.
I’m going to have to get a knife or two and learn whittlin’ and carving.
My 4-year old granddaughter was watching Jim Redhawk make his Eagle head and she said she wants to learn too.
Jack—any Friday night blue lights?!?
Would that be for you, or your granddaughter, Gary????..I may be able to scare one up....
Big Grin

Get off my lawn !
Upset