Had kinda forgotten the tedium(pictures added)
of making many small pieces.
Uhoh
Yes

A couple years ago, I experimented with making drunken cutting boards. I made four(when you make one, you get two). Turns out very few people in my family actually use a cutting board, and not many appreciate wall art. LOML and my sister in law asked if I could put handles on two of the cutting boards and make serving trays instead. So, I did. Those were a HUGE success.

LOML decided I should make serving trays for all the immediate(to include adult grandkids) family. And, since my younger son's MIL just discovered she had a half brother in England(who has visited here twice), I should include them.

Since our discretionary funds are minimal this year, I put a limit on the number, but it still reached 15---with another 15-20 for later(her side).

Making the blanks is fun. I made many designs, am experimenting with routering designs and filling with colored epoxy, as well  as using  different wood combinations. Did not get into wild geometric patterns, tho.

The tedium comes in the frames(made 10 eight foot long pieces of stock by cutting the rabbit on the TS and rounding over the top edge on the router table)), cutting sides and ends(all different , since the blanks are different sizes), and then the really tedious tedium in making 15 sets of maple handles.

Cut the blanks on the TS, cut away the waste on the BS, sand smooth on the sander, round over edges on the router table, cut the mounting angles on the TS, drill the mounting screw holes, fit and predrill the screw holes in the boards, finish(trying brushing lacquer this time) and assemble.

I just spent 4 hours fitting 6 frames, cutting handle blanks, roughing out 8 sets(BS/sanding/routering) and figuring out the system to  cut the mounting angles(30°) on 15 sets of those handles.
Making multiples does kinda take some of the fun out. My limit is 5. Good luck.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
Nope, you know the rules....no pics, didn't happen!
Laugh
Laugh  Seriously, would love to see how they look.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(12-12-2018, 07:14 PM)K. L McReynolds Wrote: of making many small pieces.
Uhoh
Yes

A couple years ago, I experimented with making drunken cutting boards. I made four(when you make one, you get two). Turns out very few people in my family actually use a cutting board, and not many appreciate wall art. LOML and my sister in law asked if I could put handles on two of the cutting boards and make serving trays instead. So, I did. Those were a HUGE success.

LOML decided I should make serving trays for all the immediate(to include adult grandkids) family. And, since my younger son's MIL just discovered she had a half brother in England(who has visited here twice), I should include them.

Since our discretionary funds are minimal this year, I put a limit on the number, but it still reached 15---with another 15-20 for later(her side).

Making the blanks is fun. I made many designs, am experimenting with routering designs and filling with colored epoxy, as well  as using  different wood combinations. Did not get into wild geometric patterns, tho.

The tedium comes in the frames(made 10 eight foot long pieces of stock by cutting the rabbit on the TS and rounding over the top edge on the router table)), cutting sides and ends(all different , since the blanks are different sizes), and then the really tedious tedium in making 15 sets of maple handles.

Cut the blanks on the TS, cut away the waste on the BS, sand smooth on the sander, round over edges on the router table, cut the mounting angles on the TS, drill the mounting screw holes, fit and predrill the screw holes in the boards, finish(trying brushing lacquer this time) and assemble.

I just spent 4 hours fitting 6 frames, cutting handle blanks, roughing out 8 sets(BS/sanding/routering) and figuring out the system to  cut the mounting angles(30°) on 15 sets of those handles.

It doesn't take long to re-discover the tedium, does it? Making cabinet doors and drawers gets me every time. 
Crazy
Sawdust, sawdust everywhere and amungst it somewhere is my pencil...
I love your drunken cutting boards. I am going to make that my next FUN project. Right after 4 more interior doors and jams. The only difference is they will be lap TV trays. They look like a fun project, but too many turns it into WORK.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
(12-13-2018, 06:24 AM)fredhargis Wrote: Nope, you know the rules....no pics, didn't happen!
Laugh
Laugh 

Yep. All I see is small talk.
Laugh
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I have 16 sets to do. Total time per set is about 10 minutes per set, but I will do 8 sets at a time.

Rough blanks, before and after band sawing to shape.

After sanding and rounding over

How I cut the mounting bevels

One set installed

VERY NICE!!!! Anyone should be proud to receive these.
Oz
This is why I have Bluetooth hearing protection and listen to audiobooks when in the shop.

I did a set of six dining chairs this year. Seven if you count the prototype. Even with the distraction of filming the process formy show, it can get tedious. The chairs featured a half-lapped back splat that involved 32 half lap cuts per chair. Then all of them had to be rounded over on all edges with a trim Router and all of the intersecting corners filed round by hand. 

Normally, my work allows me to do new projects all the time, but this one had it’s share of grunt work.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
I used to listen to music while doing mind numbing tasks in the shop----until I found myself not paying attention to the task. Not worth being hurt because of the tedium.

Now, I split the time between tasks.

Example, I did four handles and quit. Then started on my first epoxy job and another colored epoxy inlay type job. Four more handles tomorrow and more epoxy.