Finish and Glue
The topic of glue runs ruining the finish or leaving noticeable blotches under the finish has been discussed.

What about finishes weakening glue joints?

I have made a few end grain cutting boards recently. I used Tightbond III which is supposed to be waterproof. For the finish, I used pure tung oil and with the end grain, it soaks straight through. My worry is that the finish will weaken the glue joints. So far the boards have stuck together, but I will notice some joints enlarging after a while. When I do notice some issues, l apply some cutting board conditioner and that seems to get the boards back into shape.

BTW, I am careful to clean/wipe the board and dry after use so the cutting board is not being misused.  

Just wondering if anyone noticed finishes weakening glue joints? And what other glues are out there for that are appropriate for end grain cutting boards?
I made an end grain cutting board for a friend with Titebond III, and after a couple of months it just fell apart (not sure why). I used cutting board oil finish on it.
S.E. Alabama, formerly from Wisconsin.
I made an end grain cutting board using Titebond III over 10 years ago and it's held up great.  I use mineral oil for the finish.  

Eric
I don't know the answer, but I've never heard that finish of any kind wiould weaken the glue. Still, when I read it I thought what a great question to ask Franklin....so I did. If/when i hear anything I'll post back.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Maybe ten years ago I made several end grain cutting boards using Titebond III and mineral oil...no problems so far.  I was surprised by the amount of oil the boards retained.  Mineral oil and other oils have been recommended so many years, it seems unlikely they have any negative effect on the glue joint.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
(12-15-2018, 10:29 AM)fredhargis Wrote: I don't know the answer, but I've never heard that finish of any kind wiould weaken the glue. Still, when I read it I thought what a great question to ask Franklin....so I did. If/when i hear anything I'll post back.

I have a sliver that is 1/8" that I had cut off when doing the final trimming.  I applied the same finish to that strip. Found it today and it is still together. I can flex that strip and the glue joints are still solid. 

I am curious of what chemicals/finishes/oils have no effect on cured glue, and which will.
(12-13-2018, 08:33 AM)Scoony Wrote: The topic of glue runs ruining the finish or leaving noticeable blotches under the finish has been discussed.

What about finishes weakening glue joints?

I have made a few end grain cutting boards recently. I used Tightbond III which is supposed to be waterproof. For the finish, I used pure tung oil and with the end grain, it soaks straight through. My worry is that the finish will weaken the glue joints. So far the boards have stuck together, but I will notice some joints enlarging after a while. When I do notice some issues, l apply some cutting board conditioner and that seems to get the boards back into shape.

BTW, I am careful to clean/wipe the board and dry after use so the cutting board is not being misused.  

Just wondering if anyone noticed finishes weakening glue joints? And what other glues are out there for that are appropriate for end grain cutting boards?

According to Franklin's literature, TBIII is unaffected by finishes.  I've never had a glue fail due to finish.
PVA glues don't like acids very much. One way (but a little slow) to remove or break a PVA bond, say down inside a chair rung socket, is to inject vinegar. Add some heat and you can pop the joint pretty easily.

I've never used vinegar on a cutting board. I have cut plenty of acidic fruits and veggies on a board with no ill effects. YMMV
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin