Aaarrrghh!
(12-15-2018, 12:08 PM)Derek Cohen Wrote: Can you glue in a filler strip? Then re-rout or, if that seems risky, use hand tools.

Regards from Perth

Derek

A filler strip is my other option. The groove ended up an irregular shape, so I would have to fashion an irregularly shaped filler, but that's probably doable. I thought I'd just go ahead and cut the tenon that goes in the grove and glue it in with epoxy that would fill the gaps. Haven't decided yet. After my initial angst, I've calmed down and am assessing the best way to fix the mess. I should have used hand tools to start with, but you know how that goes. The router seemed so much simpler and faster. The best part is that the mess won't show on the finished piece, so the fix doesn't have to be beautiful, just effective.

Hank
My $.02:
If this is the beautiful writing desk you’re working on, I think it deserves to have the odd runaway router cut squared up, solid walnut glued in like me a dutchman and then re-cut.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Yup, do a dutchman. You can practice free hand routing ... again. 
Laugh
When doing parallel grooves (like fluting) I use a dual fence jig. One fence is rigid, the other has some spring to it. The two keep the router from wandering.

I did an article on this sort of jig a few years back in Woodworker’s Journal. You can read the article free here: https://www.woodcademy.com/published-art...luting-jig
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
(12-15-2018, 02:29 PM)Hank Knight Wrote: A filler strip is my other option. The groove ended up an irregular shape, so I would have to fashion an irregularly shaped filler, but that's probably doable. I thought I'd just go ahead and cut the tenon that goes in the grove and glue it in with epoxy that would fill the gaps. Haven't decided yet. After my initial angst, I've calmed down and am assessing the best way to fix the mess. I should have used hand tools to start with, but you know how that goes. The router seemed so much simpler and faster. The best part is that the mess won't show on the finished piece, so the fix doesn't have to be beautiful, just effective.

Hank

Well

Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020